Using Synapse via VPN

Discussion in 'Setup & Installation' started by Jerry, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Jerry

Jerry Administrator Staff Member

Hi All,

I've been trying to connect to a home synapse server from my work at US HealthWorks urgent care. Been screwing around with this for some time and have tried quite a few things. Currently, I use a Puppy Linux LiveCD at work, and just connect to remr.fdb on a USB HD via localhost. I would like to be able to connect from anywhere. My home network is fairly funky for the synapse server setup, however. I tried a dynamic domain name and couldn't get that to work without using a VPN anyway.

To work really well, I need get to a machine 2 routers deep in my home network, because it has better physical access to a second dedicated telephone line for prescription faxing.

I discovered a great Windows only remote control-file sharing-VPN program called Team Viewer (www.teamviewer.com), free for personal use. Very easy to set up and use, even easier than hamachi ( IT has blocked the range of hamachi IP addresses). And, unfortunately for me, the Team Viewer VPN works similar to hamachi, and requires installation of a virtual network adapter. This requires administrative privileges on Windows, which is a big issue with my IT department.

Team Viewer will work with Linux running under Wine, but only when Linux is the client, and not with VPN.

Remote desktop control to the synapse server machine is intriguing as an alternative, but not fast enough in my experience so far with Team Viwer.

I think the solution is to either use the syanpse ubuntu virtual machine on a VM hosting service, or use another VPN program such as OpenVPN. OpenVPN is quite mature and runs on about every platform there is. But, like most powerful open source stuff, OpenVPN has a learning curve.

Any thoughts about how to set up a VPN given my situation?

2. Graham

Graham Developer Staff Member

you could try a

Linksys RVL200 Linksys 4-Port SSL IPSEC VPN Router
    SSL VPN gives users flexible and secure access to
    your network from anywhere

You set that up at home, and then use your browser (IE/FF) to establish the VPN from work.
  3. Jerry

Checked www.newegg.com and user forum says it only works with IE. Have you used this router before with FF or are familiar with it? Product specs say:
    "5 SSL Tunnels for remote client access (requiring ActiveX-enabled browsers, e.g. IE and Netscape)". Reading a bunch of network mumbo-jumbo I see OpenVPN vs IPsec may have speed issues, but either one could be faster given a number of complicated conditions.
  4. Graham

firmware upgrade enables it to be used with FF.

IE uses an active X control

FF uses a java applet to setup the tunnel.

5. Jerry

I guess I'm catching up with remote desktop and VPN applications, but I discovered that it is way cool to use Team Viewer for remote desktop control so I can open/close the synapse server remotely and debug the VPN connection from one computer.
  6. Graham

I've actually got one of these beasts but never got round to installing it ... need to reconfigure my network in order for it to work correctly.