Using PaperPort with Synapse

Discussion in 'Setup & Installation' started by Jason, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Jason

Jason Developer / Handyman Staff Member

PaperPort is a unique and affordable scanning program that has fairly good Document Management abilities. PaperPort is a way of converting your paper into .pdf (Adobe Acrobat) files so you can run a chartless office.

Most important medical files you will want to put into Synapse's robust RESULTS section. This allows you to add metadata to the document and to search for the document quickly and easily.

However, I still file items in a patient's PaperPort directory if I "want to keep it, but will likely never need it again". Medicolegally, you need to
    keep this fluff, but for the 0.5% chance you'll ever need it, it
    shouldnt junk up the patient's chart. So I put it in their PaperPort
    folder (each patient has their own folder).

Please see the screenshot(s) to get a feel how PaperPort works with Synapse.

PaperPort is still useful but Synapse's Powerful
    Document Management and MetaData makes PaperPort all but defunct for real medical documents.

Attached Files:

2. Jerry

Jerry Administrator Staff Member

I have been a big fan of Paperport over the years, although there is no lack of PDF tools now for storing/viewing/combining/edting/searching PDF. Various file viewers and browsers (such as XnView) also allow one to add comments about a file for searching. Just to mention there is a open source equivalent of Paperport called Maxview, and I use it. It is much less capable than real Paperport, but it has some key features that make it handy for me.
    1. Programmed in C and very fast
    2. Saves to the old .max format -- compact, and will view some of your old .max files from real Paperport
    3. Has the same desktop, combine/burst/delete thumbnails motif as Paperport
    4. Prints to ps, easy to convert to pdf
    5. Very fast scanner function, so works well as a copy/scan to desktop
    6. Only works on Linux, need qt (from KDE) libraries to work.
  3. Graham

Graham Developer Staff Member

I wonder how hard/easy it would be for Synapse to link to MaxView ? Synapse has built in scanning though it is not used at present and is only available in Windows.