Using Microsoft Access and Word Mail Merge with Synapse

Discussion in 'Hardware and Software Tips and Suggestions' started by qilin, Jan 20, 2007.

1. Jason

Jason Developer / Handyman Staff Member

The Search Patient via Last Name is Case sensitive. Not a reliable method.
  2. qilin

qilin Member

Hexadecimal
    <blockquote>4. Close regedit and restart MS Access, you should be able to seethis control listed in "Insert ActiveX Control" from form design view. </blockquote>

Microsoft Rich Textbox control 6.0. When you click "insert ActiveX control" button, you will see a long list, you should be able to find this name for you to select. Then you can draw a Rich Text box in your form.
    I noticed. I need to figure out why it does so in 2007. It's not case sensitive in 2002 and 2003
  3. Jason

Do you prefer Access 2003 ?

The only thing I really need in Office 2007 is OneNote.

Outlook 2007 integration in OneNote 2007 is a bonus.

What are you going to use ?

4. Jason

When I click the ActiveX icon ... I get this list .. there is no Microsoft Rich Textbox control 6.0.

Despite (as above) it was listed as an available reference.

Attached Files:

5. Jason

I am hoping to be able to place text (demographic data) on "an image of my typical forms". Graham did a custom version of my Lab Form (which I LOVE) but an easier (end user) solution for populating demographic data on forms is needed.

One thing that could be neat is that I could INK on Word documents easily. [:)]

I could populate a referral form with patient information and HPI and then INK some details as needed.

Forinstance, I'd like to fill this form out. (see attached image below)

Workflow:

(1) Populate the patient demographics onto the Form. (2) Ink some clinical information / Sign it (3) Fax to the Radiology Office or Print to my Secretary's printer.

I guess the only saving here is populating the Form (not that much). Other Problems: where would the filled out form be stored ? I guess you could manually save it to the patient's folder.

Wait, you should be able to write some code to auto save it to the patient's folder because you know the patient's name ! (thus you know their folder name !).

Probably would be best to save it to a sub directory called \forms\ because I am unlikely to ever want to see the Requisition again.

Sometimes we have to FAX and print a copy for the patient.

Interesting.

Attached Files:

6. qilin

qilin Member

Did you do this step?
    Even though it's listed, you still need to register it using the browse button and point to the correct file. After I did that, the control showed up on the list. You may need to restart Access.

I will be using 2003, just for convenience since our EMG machine comes with this version. Istill need to playwith the 2007 to get familiar with it. The problem is I installed 2007 on x64 system and I can't use a lot of programs including paperport, firebird ODBC, etc.
  7. Jason

[quote user="qilin"]
    Did you do this step?
    [/quote]

Yea I did.

I downloaded a "NEW" richrx32.ocx from this site:

http://www.aislebyaisle.com/help.htm

and now the forms shows it [:)]
  8. Jason

[quote user="Jason"]

Lost me.

[/quote]

I added the Rich Text Control to the form (see. jpg)

How do link the Rich Text Control to the BLOB Field ?

Attached Files:

9. Jason

Might have found it

:)

Attached Files:

10. Jason

Problem ..

Attached Files:

11. Jason

Should I have done the rich text thing before populating the database (ie. before linking the tables) ?

12. Jason

Should I retry all these steps on your original synapse.mdb ?

13. Jason

How can I make the Consults.Consult into Rich Text ?

Attached Files:

14. qilin

qilin Member

Jason, don't change the property of the field of the source database.

Click the button "Property Sheet" while highlighting the Rich Texbox control. Under "Data" tab, first item "Control Source", select "CONSULT". Then go back to form view, you should see the correct format now.

Warning: DO NOT attempt to modify the data in this box, use this for viewing purpose only - Under the same "Data" tab, changed "Locked" to "Yes". If you type in this box, the Rich Textbox Control will add codes to the original data and mess up your data. Rich Textbox Control and Blob are not completely compatible with each other.

Attached Files:

15. qilin

qilin Member

[quote user="qilin"]

Not sure why. Are you using this in office or home LAN or remotely? If this happened only remotely, I am not too concerned since I don't plan to use it remotely in the future for security reason as Graham pointed out why.

[/quote]

I start to get the same problem in the office too, it tends to happen more on the list view but not on the preview form view. Need a real MS Access guru to debug this I guess. Otherwise, I will have to live with this.

Attached Files:

16. Jason

I messed up.

Attached Files:

17. qilin

qilin Member

Indeed. Open form "frmVisits", replace the big fat plain text box with a Rich Textbox.

Attached Files:

18. Jason

Ahhh .. I get it now :)

Rich Text looks good. !!!

I am going to start over again though.

I must messed a few things up.
  19. qilin

qilin Member

Glad it finally worked for you. Now you can use the same method to populate demographic info to your forms I guess. You don't even need to create a query for this if all you need is demographics, you can just use the table "USERS". My patient list view lists all the visits. You can modify this form, change the datasource of thesubformto table "USERS" so it will only list the patients, and modify the mailmerge VBA codes accordingly.
  20. Jason

[:)]

[​IMG]

Thanks . I've obviously lost all my Office Suite skills ! (I appreciate your patience).

I think that Access/Office could provide an interesting alternative "VIEW" of Synapse patient data.

Firebird and Synapse do the hard work and Office just leeches off the hard work and puts a pretty face on the data presentation :)

(best of both worlds).

<a href="http://www.nightingale.md/index2.asp">
    </a>