Using Dropbox on ubuntu hylafax server

Discussion in 'Synapse' started by Jerry, May 18, 2010.

1. Jerry

Jerry Administrator Staff Member

Dropbox has a prebuilt installer for ubuntu. Works with nautilus or even just command line, and is easy to install. It required a library that was not included with the Dropbox installer .deb package, but I was easily able to locate and install the missing library with the Synaptic Package Manager. I had to run the command "dropbox start -i" from the command line the first time to start up the Dropbox installer GUI, and load the dropbox daemon into memory.

I am really getting into Dropbox, but IT has all Dropbox IP addresses blocked at my urgent care. I could just copy all my Dropbox files and folders to S3, but that's slower and unnecessary. With Dropbox autopopulating all the files and folders to my hylafax server, all I have to do is use WinSCP on Windows or ssh on Linux to connect to the hylafax server and upload/download files to these folders. I am not blocked from ssh at urgent care, so it works fine. Sure beats using a USB keydrive to copy files back and forth from the 3 machines I use at urgent care to make sure they get uploaded to my Dropbox folder.
  2. Graham

Graham Developer Staff Member

Can you tunnel dropbox through SSH ?
  3. Graham

4. Jerry

Jerry Administrator Staff Member

Fascinating thread--looks like "NTLM Authorization Proxy Server " would work better than just moving files with WinSCP. I'll see if I can get it working.
  5. Graham

And it looks like Dropbox stores the data on Amazon S3 ...