Using 4 different networked PCs to control my tablet

Discussion in 'Hardware and Software Tips and Suggestions' started by Jason, Feb 25, 2007.

1. Jason

Jason Developer / Handyman Staff Member

I have been recently testing synergy -http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/ as a way to type on my Tablet. Tablets are great to ink notes *DURING* patient encounters where the keyboard might be a little more intrusive.

My main exam room:room1 has been able to serve as a keyboard and mouse for my tablet well for a while now. Essentially when my mousegoes to the bottom of my room1 1 dual monitor setup it appears on the top of my tablet's screen. Iessentially use theroom's keyboard and mouse to perform tasks requiringa keyboard (like typing in patient names into F3).

I am going to keep experimenting with this. [:)][:)][:)][:)]

Attached Files:

2. Jason

another explanation.

Attached Files:

3. Jason

For the record, those dual monitor displays are not just "for show",5 ofmy office workstations are dual monitor now.

4 forme, 1 for my secretary.

:)

4. DrO

DrO New Member

5. Jason

Yes.
  6. qilin

qilin Member

is there a software solution to allow emulation of dual display from a single wide-screen monitor?
  7. Jason

Not that I have seen. Good idea though.

You'd need an ultra-expensive monitor though to get it big enough for the idea to work.I wonder what the optimal sizewould be. I think the bestfor me would be 2 15inchLCDs with verythin frames so the monitorsare right beside each other.
  8. qilin

qilin Member

True, two 15" or 17" LCDshave about the same price as a 22" but more screen space. I use a laptop with a 15" widescreen in the office and have been unhappy since I am used to dual display at home. That's why I am wondering if I can split the screen, it does have good resolution to be able to handle if that can be done.
  9. Graham

Graham Developer Staff Member

Many TVs and I presume some monitors are capable of PIP ie. picture in picture mode.

10. Jason

22 inch is definitely too small.

Wide screen monitors would be the way to go.

To figure out what inch widescreen you'd need you'd figure out how wide is a 15inch monitor. Times by two. And then figure out what wide screen monitor has a width of that size.
  11. qilin

qilin Member

It's the resolution matter, not just physical size. Old 15" LCD uses 1024x768, typical 22" wide screen uses 1680 x 1050. So split the 22" into two 840 x 1050 will gave you comparable screen real estate. The difference is you will have two portrait screens instead of landscape layout.
  12. Graham

Graham Developer Staff Member

Why exactly do you need two screens for? Or am I confused.

Just put the Synapse screen on the left hand and the viewers on the right if your screen is wide enough.

13. Jason

Dual screens for the inbox are amazing. I read and "Copy / Paste" key text in the inbox item and type/paste into the MetaData area while reading/viewing the item in full size.
  14. qilin

qilin Member

If you want to put two windows side by side, it's much easier to use two displays than manually drag andresize them