use of "rights"

Discussion in 'Setup & Installation' started by kgmamman, Aug 20, 2007.

1. kgmamman

kgmamman New Member

Still a newbie I have been trying to create an account for the clinic clerk with rights set to reception. However i note that when i try signing into that account I can still modify patient records.AmI missingsome step in the set up?

2. Graham

Graham Developer Staff Member

Re: use of "rights"

The rights have not been fully enforced. But if a clerk does alter a clinic note, this is apparent in the last altered field of the note. This was because it seems in small clinics, users don't want restrictions like this! So, they might want reception to print off a prescription for them to sign etc ...

The only area where the rights are enforced is for the typist who can't do much at all except do the typing.

If people want it, I can enforce the rights in a future build.
  3. kgmamman

kgmamman New Member

I would vote yes here! anyone else agrees with me?
  4. Graham

Before we vote, let's decide on what we are discussing!

Are you wishing for:
    1. Stop clerical staff from looking at the consults tab?
    2. Stop clerical staff from looking at consults - and therefore will not be able to print out any consults for you
    3. Stop clerical staff from editing a consult ( there is an audit trail anyway )
  5. kgmamman

kgmamman New Member

Stop clerical stafffrom editing a consult andpreferably not having access to the consult at all.
  6. Jason

Jason Developer / Handyman Staff Member

I'd definitely want my secretary to view consults.

I don't see how I'd want here to be able to edit them, other than typing in immunization lot numbers. So I guess that would be one use.

There are a myriad of issues here and security profiles with lots of options seem like the only good option.

7. kgmamman

kgmamman New Member

What about patient confidentiality issues. Imagine a temporary secretary ( or aregular one) who would "know" a patient or be related to one,andmake aunintending remark of"bad" news prematurely and probably unnessarily. Eg: a patient with back pain being investigated for ?metastasis. I think myriad of issues is the right word, so isnt it better to have this option? The right person could at anytime be given more rights to view and edit anyway.
  8. Jason

Excellent example.

I trust my secretary, so I don't feel any risk in giving her full access to the EMR. I could predict many situations where I wouldn't feel as comfortable.

9. Graham

All staff should sign privacy contracts.

However, I could make it so that the receptionist can't see the consults tab, and if you trust your receptionist ... give her/him doctor rights.

10. Jason

Really we need custom profiles, not built in ones. People are unlikely to be happy with any SET permissions systems. I don't mind giving my secretary doctor rights, in fact i will do it right now.
  11. Graham

Using custom security profiles is I think a violation of the KISS principle.

I will try restricting the receptionist from all tabs except the patient and appointments tab.

I will probably add another role of nurse who will have similar rights to docs, but will not have appointments.

12. Jason

What are all the options for security ?

Access to each tab ?

Access to doing dictations

Access to booking

Access to adding documents

Access to deleting documents

Access to adding consults.

13. Graham

Restrictions can be anything .. but the finer grain they are, the more difficult it will be to maintain.

14. Graham

Ok, try this one out:

R211B2

1. Enforces security for receptionist on the 2nd (Details) row of tabs

So a receptionist can now only access the first tab in the 2nd row of tabs.
  15. kgmamman

kgmamman New Member

R211B2 is perfect. I wouldn't worry as towho puts the patient demographics in before I start the clinic.
  16. Graham

The receptionist can still use the function keys to look at the last clinic note and prescription.

I'll get around to disabling that in due course.

17. Graham

The receptionist should be able to add patients and input their demographics.