Synapse doesn't allow Updating.

Discussion in 'Bugs & Issues' started by Jason, Nov 27, 2006.

1. Jason

Jason Developer / Handyman Staff Member

When I see my handy "A new Synapse Version is available", I am eager to get it. I usually hit [Restart].

Inevitably, when I then hit [Upgrade] I get the "can't upgrade b/c still in use". I know that's from the synapse.exe server running. I often will right click on it, select [quit] before I hit [Upgrade] and that gets around the problem.

Most users aren't so crafty.

Is it possible to either

(1) the [Restart] button also closes the webserver

(2) the [Upgrade] button closes the webserver if it is open

2. Jason

To top it all off,

I get this message to remind me of my "forgetting to shut down the webserver" faux pas.

Attached Files:

3. Jason

If the name already exists ... can't you use that .exe or write over it ?

:)
  4. Graham

Graham Developer Staff Member

There is code to shut down the web server during the upgrade process ...never fails for me.

I need to investigate why it doesn't work for you ...

5. Jason

This PC ( my secretary's ) always has the same problem : says the .exe is being used.

Ideas ?

I wonder if it is a problem when syanpse is not installed on the C drive.

In this case the M: drive.

I have another PC that is installed on D:Drive. I think it updates erratically as well. All my other PCs are flawless.

Attached Files:

6. Jason

the problem is that there is *ANOTHER* synapse .exe running. So when I shut down the synapse.exe and the webserver synapse.exe ... there is still another synapse.exe ! Must be from a different synapse runningand it crashed and my secretary launched another synapse.exe. This phantom synapse.exe is 45,000K and the other two are 23,000K and 19,500 K.
  7. Jason

I am launching synapse.exe via an UltraMon Launcher. Wonder if that is it.

"M:\Program Files\UltraMon\UltraMonShortcuts.exe" /l M:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Realtime Soft\UltraMon\ShellShortcuts\Shortcut to synapse.exe.umshortcut

Hmmm.......
  8. Graham

That will be it.

9. Jason

Y ?

Does the synapse.exe remember where it was "launched from" idea ?

ie. so it knows where to rename ?
  10. Graham

Some of these launchers automatically restart the program if you quit.

Synapse has to know where it was launched from so that it can do the renaming.

11. Jason

I was using the launcher for controlling which monitor Synapse would startup on. It wasn't that useful anyway. I think I can tweak what directory it's launched from but I just got rid of it for now.
  12. Jason

I still get this problem when orphaned synapse.exe (presumably the synapse.exe - server type) are running in the background. In this case I had five synapse.exe files running. To update the client, I needed to [End Process] for them all. (top screen).

However, when I ran synapse.exe again to update the client, I got the second screen - I assume that is because the updated client had downloaded already.

I think the less savy user who doesn't know how to control + alt + del and manually close running .exe files will have to reboot their computer. Probably not a good plan.

Possible solution:

When executing synapse.exe ... synapse.exe should look for other running synpase.exe files and shut them down. This would ensure easy updating by avoiding the failure of synapse.exe from being deleted (before synapse211.exe can be renamed to synapse.exe).

I do see this message in a DOS window.

The problem with that is I don't think shutting down 1 webserver with the icon, will close the other synapse.exes.

I don't know if having phantom webservers running in the background is a problem for either a security or reliability standpoint. I assume not as this happens a fair amount. When we were updating the cleints more regularly before ... I ran into this alot.

Why do I have so many synapse.exes running ? I think it is from resetting the server PC here and there. Not entirely sure though.

Attached Files:

13. Graham

Well, I never see 5 Synapse processes running .. I'll have to investigate if there is any way I can shut them down.
  14. Jason

I'm not sure why it happens. I think it's when I shut down the server computer too much. Then when I reset the client computer hours later, I just restart synapse. I'll try to keep my eye on why it happens and how I can reduce it.