Start up, password

Discussion in 'Setup & Installation' started by Ariel, Feb 5, 2007.

1. Ariel

Ariel New Member

Hello--is there a way to retrieve a password? Or should I delete and reinstall the software if I'm not sure what it was? Also-does it work with using one pc as client and server? I thought I set things up properly, but when I try to run, it keeps saying "acquiring network connections" and never stops. Thanks--Ariel
  2. Jason

Jason Developer / Handyman Staff Member

not sure.

That would work.

yes. that is a good setup for testing.

Well, the client is not connecting to the database.

Lots of possibilities.

I think you might be using the wrong ip address (see the red box in the picture). You can use the server as: localhost:8011 if the client is on the server. Normally you should use the computer's LAN IP address which starts with 192.168.1.x:8011.

If you get the password wrong there is a dialog box saying "Wrong userid/password combination".

Attached Files:

3. Jason

Q: does it say .... www.synapsedirect.com on the login screen ? That means you are trying to connect remotely to synapsedirect's servers and not your local database.

4. Graham

Graham Developer Staff Member

Ariel,

There is no way to recover a password. Passwords are stored in an encrypted form in the database.
    If you have only the one user, then you're in trouble. I may be able to help you create a new encrypted password that you can use to replace the one on the server, but that requires modifying the database tables directly.

If you have another user with a working password, then you can make that user an administrator and they can then change your password.

The message you're seeing is because either your server is not running, or, you are connecting to the wrong address.

Look at the server control panel for the port it is serving on, and make sure that your client login is pointing to the same port ( and ip address ).

HTH.

5. Jason

Ariel, when you click on synapse-server.exe you should get two windows (pictured here).

Attached Files:

6. Graham

Graham Developer Staff Member

I've added this scenario to our beginning FAQ here