server on windows xp?

Discussion in 'Setup & Installation' started by khalsa, Apr 29, 2007.

1. khalsa

khalsa New Member

Is it possible to install the express server on a windows xp machine?
    If so, what additional steps are necessary?

Thank you.
  2. Graham

Graham Developer Staff Member

Yes, it's possible and some people are doing that.

Running Windows 2003 server offers you other benefits .. more connections, security etc, but if you're a small office, I think XP should work just fine.

No additional steps required.
  3. khalsa

khalsa New Member

Are you sure about that?

I installed the server on two different windows xp promachines 32-bit(one had a fresh install of the operating system), and both times when loading synapse-server.exe after installation, I receive the message: "C:\EMR\Server\synapse-server.exe is not a valid Win32 application."
  4. Jason

Jason Developer / Handyman Staff Member

5. Jason

While on the topic. Installing OSes and "updating" the PC so it's usable ... is a time-consuming hassle. I suggest if you like how your PC is running .....

MAKE AN IMAGE OF IT !

So you can always bring your PC back to this point in time.

Time is money. Alot of money. For $49 you can use a program likeAcronis True Image http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/

There might be cheaper programs out there.

I use True Image. I will never manage PCs without it again. I suggest getting it now, so you have time to learn how to use it.

"Just a suggestion" (TM)

[:)]
  6. khalsa

khalsa New Member

Why is the SynapseEMRserver.exe file on http://synapsedirect.com/products/downloads.aspx22.5mb and the file you linked me to is under 1mb?
  7. khalsa

khalsa New Member

I see, that is simply replacing the synapse-server.exe file included in the package from the main download website. That file on the main download site must be replaced as the synapse-server.exe file is corrupt. I tried multiple downloads.
  8. Jason

My Oh My. That's not good. For someone with your knowledge of computers and programs, we should have a manual installation guide. The ALL IN ONE installer is good for quite novice users but it has many tradeoffs (it is usually out of date, less flexibility, etc.).
  9. khalsa

khalsa New Member

Thanks for the link to the synapse-server.exe.
    I now have everything up and running.

Hopefully I will get some time to play around this week.
  10. Graham

Confirming that the express server installer is corrupt. It installs a 100kb synapse-server.exe instead of a 1Mb file.

Until this is fixed, please download http://www.compkarori.com/emr/synapse-server.exe (1Mb) to replace the corrupted version.
  11. Lewis

Lewis New Member

I find the gbak.exe function in Firebird too many steps/complicated for me to back up the database (of course I have not tried it but the instruction looks very dizzy). Can I just use Acronis TrueImage to back up my C-drive regularly instead?Any other simpler/more efficient ways of database badckup methods?
  12. Graham

if you do it this way, you'll never learn if you have any database corruption .. only gbak can tell you this.

13. Lewis

Lewis New Member

I tried backup using FIBS 2.0.0 which was installed as a service application.The Synapse Server was on, not the Client.The database is C:\EMR\Server\REMR\REMR.FDB.The backup directory is E:\.No mirroring.I used the same user name & password that I use to log in to my Synapse Client.I get the following Error Message from FIBS, "Your user name & password are not defined. Ask your database administrator to set up a Firebird login".What's wrong?
  14. kgmamman

kgmamman New Member

For Firebird by default the user name is SYSDBA and password is "masterkey".
  15. kgmamman

kgmamman New Member

16. Lewis

Lewis New Member

Backup successful. Feel delighted.[:)]
  17. Graham

Easy enough if you spend the time to read up on it!

FIBS is one of the products I have recommended. It can email you if there is a database error detected.
  18. Jason

My unimpressive server stats:

That being said it has worked for 18 months without even a hitch. !

I did upgrade the RAM, which made the PC even smoother.

--------[ Server Summary ]------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer MULE
    Generator DRMclient
    Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.1.2600 (WinXP Retail)
    Date 2007-11-19

--------[ Summary ]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer:
    Computer Type ACPI Uniprocessor PC
    Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    OS Service Pack Service Pack 2
    Internet Explorer 6.0.2900.2180 (IE 6.0 SP2)
    DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
    Computer Name MULE
    User Name DRMclient
    Logon Domain&nb