pdf files failed to open automatically

Discussion in 'Bugs & Issues' started by qilin, Jan 15, 2008.

1. qilin

qilin Member

This has happened occasionally in the past. I thought I wasable to fix the problem by deleting the "www" folder or other files, but today I have trouble. Everytime I click [view scan] button, a "file download" window pops up and ask me "do you want to save this file". The plug in link in IE seems to be correct. What else am I missing?

Update: I noticed not all files do this, only some pdf files behave this way. Maybe it has something to do with the way the files are named?
  2. Jason

Jason Developer / Handyman Staff Member

[quote user="qilin"]

Everytime I click [view scan] button, a "file download" window pops up and ask me "do you want to save this file". The plug in link in IE seems to be correct. What else am I missing?

Update: I noticed not all files do this, only some pdf files behave this way. Maybe it has something to do with the way the files are named?

[/quote]

I have this problem with FireFox .... It comes from filenames with a period in them.

so this name is OK:

Blow, Joe - glucose tests normal.pdf

so this name is NOT:

Blow, Joe - glucose fasting glucose 7.4.pdf

The period in the filename is the problem.
  3. Graham

Graham Developer Staff Member

I've never seen this problem, but it must be a bug with your browser/plugin .. perhaps the file names as Jason suggests.

Pretty much all my scanned images etc are named by the scanner software etc. so I don't have funny file names.
  4. Jason

Try adding a period to the filename and see what happens.
  5. Graham

Ok, a bug in the embedded web server's handling of such file names. It was passing the wrong mime type to the browser.

I've fixed it and will upload the new version soon.

6. Graham

Fix uploaded in B7

7. qilin

qilin Member

Found out the cause of my problem, my secretary did not put .pdf extension when they rename the file. I can't tell from the client machine 'cause IE still knows it's a pdf file but just won't open it automatically. I went back to the server and saw the missing extensions.
  8. Graham

Well, that won't be easy to fix.

You can't just add the extension to the files on the server as that won't work without more work.

Synapse tracks files in the files table .. so you would also have to locate the same file name without extension in that table, and rename it there too.

9. Graham

Actually, why is your secretary renaming files at all?

10. qilin

qilin Member

these are mostly in coming faxes, labs and radiology, etc. they do a batchoffiles at a time, they rename them so when they upload they know which one is for which patient, etc.

I will live with these files for now - not too many. If I have to, I can ask them to download from server, rename them back properly, delete the wrong onesand upload a correct ones - too much work I guess.
  11. Jason

I still think this is an unneeded extra step.
  12. Graham

Sounds like your workflow has double handling of the faxes .... I'd try to avoid that if I could.

13. qilin

qilin Member

Ihaven't figured out a better way, I have snappy fax send incoming faxes to paperport so they are OCR'ed and converted to PDF, the files are named therefore "snappy fax server (1), (2), ... " sequentially. To avoid mistakes during uploading, secretaries rename them to something more specific, using something like "patient name MRI.pdf". Paperport usually add file extension automatically. But this time, a girl was renaming them remotely from another computer's window explorer and did not add any file extensions. Once they know file extensions are necessary, this should not be a problem anymore.
  14. Jason

I think this is unlikely to be a significant problem. If you have the staff time to do this ... no problem. Of course, with the AutoFiling ... maybe this will become irrelevant !

I definitely wouldn't do the renaming if you are reviewing the files after the secretary has scanned them.
  15. qilin

qilin Member

AutoFiling, sounds something new, how do I do that?
    I only view the files from my Inbox after they are uploaded. I don't do any renaming myself.
  16. Jason

[quote user="qilin"]

AutoFiling, sounds something new, how do I do that?[/quote]

Very new. Graham is working on it. Apparently he has a version running but there must be a dedicated PC for the scanning and autofiling. He thought that was a problem and I think that the scanning PC should be dedicated anyway.

I mean they shouldn't be renamed at all ! You'd probably notice the name on the scanned piece of paper and the name in synapse dont match. For the rare time that happens here ... I "seem" to notice. :)

I think !
  17. Graham

Synapse can be trained to recognize different types of scanned/faxed forms.

It will then grab the patient name and id from that form and then upload the scan to the correct patient.

See this screenshot of process
  18. qilin

qilin Member

That will be extremelyhelpful since filing process has been the most time consuming issue I have now. Looking forward to it.
  19. Jason

Just an FYI, no other EMR has Auto-Filing ... :) It'll be a first for EMRs. I think it'll still be a challenge but very exciting stuff.

:)
  20. Jason

That's true of all EMRs, in fact most are quite a bit more time consuming than Synapse.