Patient Import

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Graham, Sep 30, 2006.

1. Graham

Graham Developer Staff Member

I'm told that I should be importing both the PMS id and the SSN when doing HL7 imports. This note to remind me!
  2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Have you been able to complete a bidirectional interface with medisoft?
  3. Graham

Didn't start it. It's a low priority as there doesn't seem to be any demand.

4. DrO

DrO New Member

Graham:

I would like to import all Diagnoses for each of my patients. Can you rig up a routine for importing these diagnoses(ICD-9 codes) as you did for PATIENT IMPORT?

It could be CHART NUMBER followed by up to 10 ICD-9 codes or CHART NUMBER, DX, DATE of diagnosis <--- more attuned with Synapse.

In the same vein, perhaps you could help us import Meds: CHART NUMBER and Medications ( 10-15 meds)

For some of us this would be very helpful. Some of the Tech Members might be able to use these routines to help others migrate to Synapse.

Thanks,

DrO
  5. Graham

Perhaps you could show me some sample data ?
  6. Jason

Jason Developer / Handyman Staff Member

?

Attached Files:

7. Jason

Patient&rsquo;s date of birth (format: mmddyyyy).

Excel doesn't have this as a default .. but you can do custom formats.

Attached Files:

8. Jason

Wow. Got it done.

There was much trouble making the appropriate .csv file as Excel doesn't create what is needed.

I suggest the following additions:

allowing double-quoteless blanks.

ie. allow ,, not force ,"",

The vast majority of new users will be generating .csv files from MS Excel.

Other realizations:

(1) you must have 16 entries per patient - or the importing fails.

(2) only blanks need double quotes to allow importing.

(3) generating a .csv file with the current restrictions would be fairly difficult.

(4) importer performed very well once I got the right .csv format.

9. Jason

I am pretty sure that Synapse actually *DELETES* any .csv file that it tries to import ! Very Dangerous !
  10. Graham

Yes, Synapse deletes the csv file ASAP so there's no chance of it being imported again. Very Safe!

11. Graham

>Wow. Got it done.

So, you successfully imported the 2.5k number of patients?
  12. Jason

Yes. Into a new database.
  13. Jason

Not really.

Please rethink this.

Acceptable would be .. rename .csv to .csx

Prompt user for deletion.

Name it: IMPORTED_originalfilename.csv (and code in Synapse to never import files starting with IMPORTED_ )

etc.

Deleting a .csv file I spent hours and hours making is dangerous.

There is no way for a user to know that Synapse is going to destroy the .csv file.

Seriously I was just lucky to have a backup of the .csv file.
  14. laumansm

laumansm New Member

I am curious: let's say I import my patient list as above from my PMS (Altapoint) via a CSV file. Let's say that my patient panel grows and I re-import it in 1 year with even more patients, yet many of them the same as with the first import. Will Synapse create double entries or refuse to add or will it overwrite current demographic entries with the updated ones while leaving existing chart data untouched? Marius
  15. Jason

Not sure. I think the repeated CSV importing will mess things up.

A much better idea would be to have your PMS synch with Synapse.

Graham has done it for a few different PMs and I am going to get him to do it for mine as soon as I commit to a PM system. Unfortunately I am thinking of changing PMs, so paying Graham to do it would seem like a waste.

I think getting some communicationbetweenSynapse and your PMis solid business sense.

16. DrO

DrO New Member

I tried to import 230 patients into Synapse and got the following results: 227 were "imported", the progam failed to import the last 3 patients. I had saved a copy of the csv file. Iisolated and fed the last 3 patients to no avail. Using 214 beta 76.

I could not find one of my patients in a simple search and discovered that only 5 of 16 A... surnamed patients had been imported. Is there a way of dumping a list of all the patients in the file?

DrO
  17. DrO

DrO New Member

I agree with you Jason that: "getting some communicationbetweenSynapse and your PMis solid business sense." This communication, however, should entail the current active patient population and new patients. The database should not be saddled with inactive patients. Case in point, I have close to 1500 patients in my Medisoft v9 database of which 400 have been active in the past year. I loose patients to HMOs, nursing homes and death, these I do not keep active. Thus, I have chosen to import patients for whom we have billed Medicare in the last 6 months and who are alive and active in our practice. Add new ones as they come in.

Changing to a new PM and syncing with active patients in a populated Synapse databasemight be the easiest and most cost effective way. Is there a way of designating active and inactive patients in Synapse?

DrO
  18. Graham

Synapse has an optional bridge that sends patients ( new and updated ) from Medisoft to Synapse.

To see if a patient is active or not, just look at their last consult date.
  19. Jason

I really need this.

In both my PM and Synapse.

I don't like seeing old patients in my name searches.<h2 class="CommonTitle">
    </h2>

I'll start a new thread.
    <h2 class="CommonTitle">designating active and inactive patients in Synapse</h2>
  20. Jason

I really need this.

In both my PM and Synapse.

I don't like seeing old patients in my name searches.<h2 class="CommonTitle">
    </h2>

I'll start a new thread.
    <h2 class="CommonTitle">designating active and inactive patients in Synapse</h2>