PaperPort 11's (with OmniPage 15) PDF searchable outperforming expectations.

Discussion in 'Hardware and Software Tips and Suggestions' started by Jason, Sep 11, 2006.

1. Jason

Jason Developer / Handyman Staff Member

I've installed OmniPage 15 again on my new "Scanning" PaperPort computer.

The OCR and "rich text" formatting is exceeding my previous testings.

I've only done 6 documents, but am very pleasantly surprised.

Copying the text to Synapse is very easy, simply highlighting the text in the Acrobat (Reader) window in the browser.

This brings up a very interesting question of possibly "auto-pulling" the text information into Synapse. How/Why this would be of benefit is an interesting question. Certainly I've found that the "description" window in Synapse has an appropriate character limit and that my 1004 character 1-page bone density report (test file) exceeded the maximum (Q: what is it by the way ?)

I will continue the "PDF searchable" testing.

I've set all my paperport 11 scanning to be searchable now.

If memory serves me correct, episodic freezing was a problem with the creation of "PDF searchable" PDF scanning in PaperPort 9.

I'll post the results of the PDF text extraction for you to look at Graham, but it's littered with real patient data, so I'll have to edit it out.

I transferred the RICH TEXT to a Word Document as a test case.
  2. Jason

I just received a Fax with very small text and it printed on my local computer.

I rescanned it with OCR (PDF-searchable)

Great Results again.

3. Graham

Graham Developer Staff Member

The current maximum is 1024 characters - but it looks like I can try increasing it to 8192 chars ( I increased the database field to 8192 but forgot to relax the restrictions ).

However, that may not work .. as sending this much text might overload the messaging system. I can't recall the exact limit .. have to dig it up.

The metadata field is not intended for this purpose however. You should extract the text, save that as a text file, and upload that with a brief metadata statement.
  4. Jason

"This brings up a very interesting question of possibly "auto-pulling" the text information into Synapse."

"Not in the metadata"

Agreed this info shouldnt end up in the metadata.
  5. Jason

Very satisfactory results continue with my OmniPage with PaperPort scanning method. It is quite reliable.

I just accidentally stumbed upon a neat thing. A scanned lab form with a URL is "clickable" within Adobe Reader plugin within FireFox.

All my paper is scanned in PaperPort and attached to the appropriate patient. I then review my inbox with my two monitor setup. I cannot emphasize enough how the two monitor setup really speeds me up. I update the Synapse chart on the primary monitor while reviewing documents on the right monitor.

EVERYONE SHOULD USE TWO MONITORS

Try it !

So .. this link is clickable within the Acrobat reader plugin in the browser ! Nice bonus.

Attached Files:

6. Graham

This is interesting. So what you are saying is that when PP11 with Omnipage 15 receives a scanned document, and then creates the PDF, it notices any urls in that scan and turns them into active links inside the PDFs it creates.

7. Graham

I think this just illustrates the value of leveraging best of breed applications rather than trying to build everything yourself.

When the components of your system get upgraded .. your whole system undergoes an upgrade automatically.

8. Jason

Exactly.

and I find that OmniPage doesn't make many errors in a reasonable document.