OmniPage OCR results

Discussion in 'Hardware and Software Tips and Suggestions' started by Jason, Dec 9, 2006.

1. Jason

Jason Developer / Handyman Staff Member

<p align="left">For this applicant, this is Disability Ce rtificate number from this health professional/facility<p align="left">Use this form for accidents that occur on or after November 1, 1996. If your insurance company asks you to complete this form, fill out Pa rts 1 to 3 and<p align="left">give the form to your health practitioner (chiropractor, dentist, nurse practitioner, occupational therapist, optometrist, physician,<p align="left">physiotherapist, psychologist, speech language pathologist). After your health practitioner has explained your accident-related inju ry to you, sign<p align="left">Part 4. Your health practitioner will complete the rest of the form, based on his/her most recent assessment, and return it to the insurance company.<p align="left">If this disability certificate is being completed to suppo rt your application for accident benefits, it must be completed by your health<p align="left">practitioner no earlier than 10 business days of the date of your application. If your insurer has requested a new disability ce rtificate, it must<p align="left">be provided within 15 business days of this request. Only an authorized health practitioner can complete this form. The health prac titioner's opinion<p align="left">will be relied upon by people who review the ce rtificate to make impo rtant decisions. Accordingly, it is necessa ry to be accurate and complete. Please<p align="left">print clearly and provide all information requested. This form may not be materially altered.<p align="left">Confidentiality: Collection, use and disclosure of this information is subject to all applicable privacy legislation.<p align="left">

Attached Files:

2. Jason

Above is a real world example of scanning a document with PaperPort / Omnipage. This was an insurance form that we scanned and placed in the patient's file. To "grab" the text, I simply opened the document up in Acrobat Reader, selected the paragraph with the mouse .. and copied to the Windows Clipboard .. and pasted the results.

Pretty accurate, I say.

To grab the text another way you can use the "Copy Text" feature in PaperPort (see below).

essentially, you right click on the document and select "Copy Text".

(1) if the document has text embedded, the text is immediately put into the Windows Clipboard, for pasting elsewhere.

(2) if the document is a PDF image, in you select "Copy Text", PaperPort/Omnipage will auto-OCR the textin real time, and then allowit to be pasted as needed.

Attached Files:

3. DrO

DrO New Member

Jason:

How do you automate the process with Omnipage? It is rather simple for a form, and I have done that several times. A multipage document, however, has required a considerable amount of time, specially if it is of low quality.

I convert all documents to pdf files. This allows me to search the documents.

One of my best acquisitions was a Fujitsu SnapScan document scanner. $350 with a $50 rebate. It included Adobe Acrobat Standard v7. It scans a 35 page document in a reasonable amount of time and outputs each page as part of a pdf document. It scans double sided docs and color pictures. Love it!

DrO
  4. Jason

I don't scan in OmniPage. I scan in PaperPort.

PaperPort "detects" Omnipage ... and then allows another scanning option for PaperPort called: PDF searchable. I scan everything in PDF searchable format.

I have tried scanning in Omnipage .. but I found it slow, I believe as you did.

Q: Do you have both Omnipage and PaperPort ? which versions ?

I have Acrobat 7 as well. I've tried it a few times, and found PaperPort (with Omnipage) did better. PaperPort has been a tad annoying lately, freezing on occaision. My secretary gets miffed with it. I believe I am going to have a computer for JUST scanning and another computer for scheduling.