ODBC Install

Discussion in 'Setup & Installation' started by Anonymous, Sep 20, 2006.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I am trying to go through the install but have hit a bump. I downloaded the full installer and ran it, it seemed to install with no errors. Attempting to run Synapse EMR Server afterwards yielded the message that it couldn't connect to the database. I checked Firebird, it was installed and the service was running. I checked ODBC system DSN's and there were none so I attempted to add it manually. That's when I found that the Firebird/Interbase drivers weren't loaded. I went and downloaded the Firebird ODBC install and ran it. The driver still didn't show up in odbc. I uninstalled, reinstalled rebooted but it still wont show. I looked in the registry under the ODBC section and everything is there, I checked the files in the system32 folder and they are there. For some reason XP is rejecting these drivers. This is a new machine with XP Pro SP2. I know that this isn't Firebird support but I am looking for some clues.
  2. Jason

Jason Developer / Handyman Staff Member

hmmm. I'll have to think about that one.

A Firebird Newbie like me installed the ODBC drivers and Firebird without problems. I did the manual install. I have tried Windows 2000 SP4 - no problems, Windows XP SP2 - no problems.

Q1: did you try a reboot ? (oops I seeyou tried that)

Do these pictures help you ?

Q2: did you ADD the firebird/interBase driver ? You have to install it and then ADD it.

Attached Files:

3. Jason

You certainly sound thorough and knowledgeable, I'm sure Graham or Nick could help you.

Did you check this out ?

http://synapsedirect.com/forums/thread/114.aspx

4. Graham

Graham Developer Staff Member

This sounds good.

The installer doesn't create an entry in the system DSNs .. but the changes I think are made in the registry. But the fact that the Firebird/Interbase drive is not loaded is not good.

I've installed under XP Pro SP2 with no problems.

What I suggest you do is try a manual install.
    1. Use system restore to roll back to before you ran the installer,
    2. then install Firebird first
    3. install ODBC
    4. create the system DSN next linking to the "blank" remr.fdb database which is placed preferably in it's own directory
    5. and check that it connects
    6. and then run Synapse-server EMR. It will tell you if it can't connect.

Let us know how you get on ...
  5. Graham

Dear Anonymous ( it would be good to have a name here ! )

Your problem has been reproduced by the team that built the installer ...and they will attempt to find a fix.

In the meantime, I suggest you do the manual install as mentioned above, and as depicted in the online movies.

If you need more help ... register, and ask away!
  6. Nick Harrington

Nick Harrington New Member

We've got a fix on the ODBC System DSN. This was passed last thing this afternoon and will hit this site early tomorrow a.m. Please check back on this thread tomorrow for confirmation of upload.

Nick.
  7. Jason

Hi Nick,

Fixed already ? Nice.

I suppose it's kinda too bad about the Mega Installer for this chap as he would have BREEZED through the manual install.

Maybe for the advanced user, the manual install might be more predictable.

:)

Although the Mega Installer is really convenient.

:)

8. Nick Harrington

Nick Harrington New Member

We've uploaded a corrected Synapse EMR Server InstallShield package. This now correctly deploys the FireBird ODBC drivers and ODBC settings to the FireBird database. Use this installer for new installations of Synapse EMR Server.
  9. Jason

I ran the Synapse EMR Server installer and ran into the same problems.

Now I can't install manually.

I get this:

Attached Files:

10. Graham

If the ODBC installer fails, you can do a manual install. This basically means dropping the dlls into system32 and altering the registry.

Here's a capture of my registry changes

[​IMG][​IMG]
  11. qilin

qilin Member

Anybody know of an firebird ODBC driver for WIndows XP x64? Tried to install the current one manually, doesn't work.
  12. Jason

Not I.

I dont use 64 bit windows XP for these compatibility reasons.
  13. I have been trying to get back up and running for the last week, but I have been having the hardest time. I am sure there is something elemental I am missing like before when I had forgotten I had started over. Well this time started out with me remembering that fact and then I received the server too old and was directed to the website downloads, but I kept getting the same message - finally I found the beta download site and was able to at least get somewhere. Then I got message about odbcjdbc.dll failed with 6 invalid handle. I kept deleting and redownloading thinking I must have done something wrong. I have downloaded and reinstalled everything so many times I have lost track. I searched the forums and came across this thread, but I can't figure out how to drop the dll file into a registry I can't find. I did check the system32 and found an odbcjdbc.dll file from december. However, the administrative site says I do not have the firebird driver installed and is not in the registry.

I feel really frustrated...help.
  14. Graham

Just found this message in the to be moderated message list .. no idea why it turned up there.

I guess you either got it going by now ... or have moved on. But repeated installing/uninstalling is likely to have caused your problems. In this situation I would roll the PC back using system restore and do a complete new installation.
  15. Mike

Mike New Member

OK, sorry to re-open this thread, but...

I am new to Synapse Direct, and have been trying to install the server. I spent about 4 hours last night and cannot get the ODBC database connection set up correctly. I have downloaded and installed the Firebird program (but I'm not sure whether to run it as an "application" or a "service" -- tried both ways). I have downloaded and installed the ODBC driver. But when I go to the control panel to setup the driver, I find that the ODBC driver already shows up under System DSN tab, and when I try to configure it, it already has the info filled in. I just changed the line to point to where the database is actually saved. But when I test the connection, I get a message that it failed everytime. I have done everything I can think of, including a system restore to back before I started all this. Oh, and for some reason I could not download the blank database...I could only get the full database. Not sure if that makes a difference.

I am running Windows Vista Ultimate on a brand new machine with 4 gigs RAM, Intel Core Duo processor at 2.66 gHz, so I don't think it is a hardware issue. I'm not a computer tech person so maybe this is just too much for me. If anyone can help I would really appreciate it.

Michael Franklin, PA-C

Concord, NC, USA
  16. Mike

Mike New Member

Well...I just went through and deleted everything, thern re-installed all. This time, during the setup of the firebird program (which I chose to run as a service), I noticed one little checkbox at the bottom that I had just been leaving unchecked by default. Something about registering the directory on the system or some such. I thought, "What have I got to lose by trying it?" and checked it, and finally, I was able to connect to the database!!! OK, now I'm off to figure out how to use everything...I may have more questions later.

Thanks,

Michael Franklin
  17. Graham

I installed on Vista business with no problems ... but never tried Ultimate.

The synapse server installer installs everything for you .. the manual installation of firebird, odbc etc is the fall back position if the installer does not work for you.

Note that Vista has a problem with the very latest Firebird installer ... there is some bug if you choose to install the FB control applet. However, our installer is using an older version and so should be okay.
  18. joxxer

joxxer New Member

Hi,

I am having an issue with the DSN setup. All the settings appear to be correct. (IT was auto-populated). When I hit the test connection button, I get a failure to connect to Database. I verified that the user name and password were correct as well as the path to the DB. Any ideas? Did the username/pass change? I'm a little stumped.

Thanks
  19. Graham

Hi

Please post screenshots of your system dsn tab, and then the screen that appears after you click "Configure"

Thanks
  20. Jason

[​IMG]

Do your settings look like this ?

where is your REMR.fdb file ?

The poor mans method for screenshots is to

(1) press PrintScreen

(2) paste the screenshot into MS paint.

(3) save it as a .jpg or a .gif or .png.

(4) post it here.