Multi-Language Support

Discussion in 'Feature: Requests and Planning' started by Graham, Dec 7, 2006.

1. Graham

Graham Developer Staff Member

There is a system for partially localising parts of Synapse EMR.

Here is a directory of different language files http://www.compkarori.com/emr/languages/

These includes
    1. Czech
    2. Danish
    3. German
    4. Spanish
    5. French

Download the file you want. If you want a particular text string translated, use the format in the file as below which is taken from the German file.
    Once you have done that, rename the file as "locale.dat" and place it in the same directory as Synapse EMR.

It will translate the words as appropr
  2. Jason

Jason Developer / Handyman Staff Member

Multilingual - very cool.

3. BrunoH

BrunoH New Member

Thanks Graham,

Brilliant. I've started translating it to Portuguese. With buttons, tab names and headings it works great, but I can't translate some things. For instance, on the Personal & Contact subtab of "Details", I can't translate ethnicity, title, occupation and SSN/NHI.
  4. Graham

I think there will be some things that will not be translated automatically ... I'll have to see what can be done later on.

5. Jason

Is it possible to produce a list of words (ie. dump a .txt file from rebol ) that need translation (easily)?

So that somebody who knows the language could easily do the translations ?

Im suspecting not ..
  6. Graham

If Bruno does the Portuguese translation, we can just take his file and translate to another language.
  7. Graham

This appears to be a result of a bug in the localization code .. and is being worked on. I suggest you carry on as though it will work.
  8. Graham

BTW, this localization mechanism means that you can change most strings from what they currently are, to something else .. not just for language reasons.

9. Jason

Interesting Twist. I'll keep it in mind, these little "Programming Flexibilities" help me alot understand what to suggest/not suggest. :)

10. BrunoH

BrunoH New Member

Will do, I hope to have it done soon.

Cheers
  11. Graham

The latest RebGUI has fixed this bug, but unfortunately introduces some rather more critical bugs [:(] So, this is delayed a bit further.

Caveat:
    This is the format for the language files. Note that it specifies the language here. This also affects the macro substitution file. Since the language is normally English, the macro expansion file is called dictionary/English.dat. Here it would be called dictionary/Deutsch.dat, and you should rename yours as dictionary/Portuguese.dat, or whatever you choose to name your language.
  12. Graham

I've uploaded beta-6 which should fix the language localization issues.

Note, that if you wish to change Ethnicity, the string is actually "Ethnicity:".

However, in this build, the macro expansion is not working yet, and there may be some other GUI related problems.

13. BrunoH

BrunoH New Member

Thanks again,

I'm having quite a hectic week, but I hope to have it done by sunday.