Medications: The planning & research thread

Discussion in 'Synapse' started by Jason, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Jason

Jason Developer / Handyman Staff Member

Jerry could you let me know what medication popup features you are using ?
    - shortcuts ?
    - RxN ?
    - RxT ?
    - Notes ?
    - Route & Frequency ?
    synapse.medication.popup.route.and.frequency.jpg

Graham too ?

Besides speed, what is on everyone's wish list ?
  2. Jerry

Jerry Administrator Staff Member

I use favs a lot. Since we have a pretty limited "urgent care formulary", I use favs for generating at least 90% of my Rx's. I use RxN for searches much more than RxT, and have pretty much ditched FDA unless (very uncommonly) I can't find it on the others. This is because of no RxCUI. I find RxT just a little confining for the way we commonly write here, but in time I will probably get used to it.

I haven't used the new interaction function much yet so far because we don't tend to do much polypharmacy in urgent care. I appreciate that it's there, new and improved however.

I don't really use notes at all.

I thought at one time I would make a lot of use of "medication groups", like, say, "Zithromax Z-pack, Medrol Dosepack, and promethazine with codeine cough syrup", but in practice, I find favs so fast that medication groups are pretty unnecessary.
  3. Jason

Jason Developer / Handyman Staff Member

"Shortcut" or "Favorites" prescribing needs to be the preferred method of prescribing.
    Database lookup options should be available .... in popups
    - these methods should not interfere with the preferred method of RXing.
    - a mouse click to start this process is acceptable (as it should be a rare event).

I know that Predicting Insurance Coverage is important in the US.
    I need to know how important it is.
    It seems like that shortcuts are less important in these situations.
    A better method might be searching their insurance list for drug categories like: PPI SSRI Benzo etc.

Unknowns:
    Insurance companies must provide some data that could be imported and updated in Synapse ... is there some uniformity ?
    What are the top 5 insurance companies ? what do those data samples look like ?
    How could Synapse present this data to the provider ?
    Should this impact shortcuts ?

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

4. Jerry

Jerry Administrator Staff Member

Hmm... insurance co. formulary checking would be cool. The pharmacies are all connected to formulary databases in real time. We fairly frequently get a call from the pharmacist...."Ah, not going through, try something else"...."Ok, let me run that one and see if it works".... We don't have access to those databases that I know of. If you use a static list on some insurance co. website, it's bound to be out of date fairly frequently, I think