Medication Favorites - ideas

Discussion in 'Feature: Requests and Planning' started by Jason, Apr 17, 2008.

1. Graham

Graham Developer Staff Member

I think 3 - 4 characters is sufficient.

For instance, I might use cyclophosphamide, but I doubt that you would be in urgent care! So, if it's a really common first few characters, you might choose not to use a macro for the drug in question. Remember, each macro you use you have to remember them .. it's no longer gui. So, keep the list short, and use a consistent naming scheme.

2. Jason

Jason Developer / Handyman Staff Member

Why would you ever be back tracking ? The only time you ever use the shortcut field is when you are typing in your medication ! ONCE ! The other practical aspect of the shortcut being at the end is that the suggested drug naming is first three letters of the drug then the first number in the dose.

AMO2 = amoxicillin 250mg 1 tab po tid.

So when you type in your drug/dose/instru - it will be come apparent what the shortcut should be.

The shortcut is to be typed in the search area of the medications popup, not in the fav popup. So when you are "using" the shortcut, you aren't in the fav popup ! The shortcut should be at the end, as it is optional, and doesn't have anything to do with drug/dose/instr. It'll confuse people, and rightly so.
  3. Jason

Gil Carter TSMR is the master of this. He'd have lots of insight.

Graham hit a key point - you'd want to be able to remember them. On the same line, you want to be able to remember 90% of your drugs easily. Don't make the general rule harder or longer just to accommodate another 5% of your drugs. Over time, you'll naturally learn the ones that don't exactly fit the rule.

In those cases a 4th letter will likely solve the issue.

I am not sure if this will be harder or easier for me as I just use generic names on my prescriptions.
  4. Jason

[quote user="Jason"]
    [:)]

More suggestions.

Note to users: although a button to access the Med Fav Popup is needed, a workaround is typing just a ! in the search field.

[/quote]

[​IMG]

BUMP.

(1) We need a button (GUI method) of popping up the Favorites.

(2) Can you move the shortcut to the bottom ?

I will attempt to come up with a naming convention.
  5. Jason

Please add.
  6. Jason

I have no idea what favorites I have added already.
  7. Graham

that's because they're not really your favorites.
  8. Jason

IDEA: make shortcuts stored on the network, available to all PCs.

Attached Files:

9. Jason

I already see one issue. If I setup medication shortcuts, I will also have to set them up for my nurses and my partner.

To get the entire office using them, I will have to make all the shortcuts myself, and print them out to show everybody how they work.

I only use generic names, my partner will likely want to use his own on many occasions.

Is it possible for there to be:

(1) a "Practice Wide" (all doctors on the server) Shortcut database

(2) a "Per Doctor" database

Maybe upon Login, (1) and (2) can be loaded into the local client.

When adding shortcuts .... could there be an option to add it to either (1) all doctors (2) just yourself.

and / or ... could the files be stored in plain text ... like icd9.r and be easily editable ?

10. Graham

your shortcuts are in a file called favorites.r

If you want to share them stick them on the shared drive and write a batch file to copy them to each client

It's a plain text file.

I personally wouldn't use the same favs as someone else.