Meaningful Use - how close are we?

Discussion in 'Synapse' started by Graham, Sep 10, 2010.

1. Graham

Graham Developer Staff Member

http://xw2k.nist.gov/healthcare/docs/170.302.l_PublicHealthSurveillance_v1.1.pdf

is the test for the ability to perform syndromic surveillance. Basically some trigger event like the diagnosis of TB should alert the user to send a report to the CDC or other agency. The report has to structured along the lines of HL7 2.3 or 2.5.1, preferably the latter since the former lacks an implementation guide. The "how" of sending does not appear to be covered. There are mapping guides that describe per syndrome what the content of the HL7 message has to be eg. different ones for TB, Varicella etc.
  2. Graham

3. Graham

Unlike the HL7 immunization message, the CDC requires that facilities have and submit an OID ( object identifier) that is in the PHIN OID registry. These can be obtained from the CDC.
  4. Graham

Syndromic Surveillance is now done using the generic mapping profile.

I need at some stage to add more than the minimum required dataset, and to save and restore messages sent to the CDC.
  5. Graham

6. Graham

Added the ability to view allergies to the portal ... so Timely Access is now done.
  7. Graham

8. Graham

http://xw2k.nist.gov/healthcare/docs/170.304.d_GeneratePatientReminders_v1.1.pdf

This test is to be able to generate patient reminders. So, we need a way to apply the HMGs to the existing population and bring up a list which can then be notified based on some communication preference.

Eg. list all patients on warfarin who have not had an INR done in the last month and send a reminder to them.
    This means we also have to store the patient preferences on how they are to be contacted.

Eg. voice, mail, email ( protected), sms, facebook etc.
  9. Graham

Thinking about this again, we can just use the existing report mechanism, and change it to also report the contact preference.
  10. Graham

This is now done. We have a new patient preference to store their contact preferences, and this preference is now displayed when you do a query. At this time we do not need to send out a reminder.
  11. Graham

12. Graham

Looks like there have been some changes in the XML specification since my original implementation. I'll have to get the new specs from surescripts.
  13. Graham

I have reviewed the NIST test script and the new items are /Version /Release and something in the /To /From sections which I have no idea as to what they are referring. I implemented Version and Release below Message as that seems to be the logical place.

There was one error found in that phonenumbers have a phone section and this is now corrected.
    However, I found 3 xpath errors in the NIST test script! So, will have to contact them to clarify.
    In the meantime I consider the NewRx message is now compliant.
  14. Graham

Audit Log

I can't provide the link as the NIST site is currently down, but the Audit Log records date, time, patient, user and action taken - when health information is created, modified, accessed or deleted.
    And a log has to be able to be generated.

This could potentially create very large tables ... but is easy enough to accommodate.
  15. Graham

Integrity 170.302s

EHR has to be able to calculate a hash value on health information.
    Since this implies the exchange of data, I have enabled a SHA-1 calculation on a CCR/CCD.
  16. Graham

General Encryption 170.302u

Tests the ability of the EHR to encrypt and decrypt using recognized an algorithm recognized by FIPS.
    Added an applet that encrypts and decrypts files using Rijndael 256 bit.
  17. Graham

Encryption when exchanging electronic health information 170.302v

Same as General Encryption but additionally the file has to be transmitted somewhere.
  18. Graham

Drug-formulary checks 170.302b

This tests the EHR to see if it can pick a drug from a preferred formulary as opposed to just typing in the prescription.
    Synapse maintains 3 separate formularies ie. FDA, RxNorm, and the NZ Drug database. So, no worries here.
  19. Graham

Computerized Provider Order Entry 170.304a

Need to be able to record, store, retrieve, and modify medications, labs and imaging.
    We can do all of the above except modify labs, and imaging which we can do by implementing deletion and re-order.
  20. Graham

CPOE is now done. You will be able to cancel labs, and imaging and re-order them which fufills the 170.304.a test.