Incoming email functionality

Discussion in 'Feature: Requests and Planning' started by laumansm, Sep 28, 2008.

1. laumansm

laumansm New Member

I saw that you can send email through Synapse if I chose this low-security port of communication. What about incoming email capability i.e. not using the web portal? On a similar note, I see there is no option to enter an email server login and password if my email server should require this for outgoing email.

Marius
  2. Graham

Graham Developer Staff Member

True ... I should add the ability to support esmtp.

How would incoming mail work? I would have to become an email client as well!
  3. laumansm

laumansm New Member

I have been thinking about that, too. What I have seen so far in other EHRs, they simply import the email, possibly tag it with a patient's name and show up in the inbox. Nothing special. No need for the usual features that email clients usually provide.

Marius
  4. Graham

Graham Developer Staff Member

So, I guess you need a dedicated email account for this.

And I guess identify the patient based upon the email address .. and hope the patient does not use more than one account.

And also strip out any html if they send a HTML marked up email

Simpler I think to use the patient portal and then not worry about HIPAA email problems.

And then you can let patients request appointments etc as in this screen shot from the Synapse web portal

[​IMG]
  5. Jason

Jason Developer / Handyman Staff Member

Marius, have you been allowing patients to email you previously ?

In what capacity ?
  6. laumansm

laumansm New Member

Patients email me all the time. Prior to becoming a patient, they sign a release that they know this is insecure and to call the emergency service in emergencies rather than emailing me etc. Marius