Hardware suggestion wanted for EMR

Discussion in 'Hardware and Software Tips and Suggestions' started by qilin, Jan 13, 2007.

1. Graham

Graham Developer Staff Member

Re: Hardware suggestion wanted for EMR

Just a reminder that you can't install the OS until you get the Raid card. You can't install first and then add the raid card later on.

2. qilin

qilin Member

Re: Hardware suggestion wanted for EMR

Too late, the server is already up and running. But it's not a big deal to reinstall, it only has the OS and synapse-server.
  3. qilin

qilin Member

Scanner suggestion wanted

Bought the Xerox Documate 510. Have about 100 patients' records now in Synapse. The scanner is doing a great job, the only complain is the 30 sec warm up time. Just found Jason's post in emrupdate forum mentioning how to change the power saving settings. Jason, what time you set for yourself?

I am thinking of getting a faster one for the main office and another Documate 510 for a satellite office, using this Documate 510 as a backup as well as flatbed scanning. Sanning speed is not an issue, even this 510's 10ppm is probably good enough, organizing the files and uploading to Synapse server is a tedious job.

Jason, have you upgraded your Strobe 450 to a Fujitsu? You mentioned Strobe 450 is Documate 252, but I checked the specs. Documate 252 is a duplex scanner. Did you mean Documate 250? I am debating between Fujitsu FI-5110C and Documate 250. Do you guys think Duplex is necessary? If yes, then I will need Fujitsu FI-5120C or Xerox Documate 252.
  4. Jason

Jason Developer / Handyman Staff Member

Re: Scanner suggestion wanted

I have the Visioneer Strobe XP 450. When I was using the Strobe's own interface if you right clicked on the "Scan Window" in the system tray you could "supposedly" set the "time out" time. I set it for the highest value ( ? 99 minutes) . That was supposed to be that if you had 98 minutes between scans you wouldn't have to wait for the 30 second warmup. I don't think the setting actually worked. Sometimes we would have hours between scans with no warmup and sometimes a 5 min break between scans would bring on the warmup routine. Certainly annoying.

However, I use PaperPort's native scanning dialogs so I don't believe I have access to the "Power Saving settings".

I see a guy selling 7 of these on ebay for $199 USD. *NEW in box*.

Seems like a good deal.

You always need one flatbed scanner in an office. So for a smaller office having a Xerox 510 would be a good idea.

My Strobe XP 450 is a non-flatbed scanner.

I am thinking of getting a faster one for the main office and another Documate 510 for a satellite office, using this Documate 510 as a backup as well as flatbed scanning. Sanning speed is not an issue, even this 510's 10ppm is probably good enough, organizing the files and uploading to Synapse server is a tedious job.

No. For day-to-day scanning you don't need much more than a typical scanner like my Strobe XP 450. I would like one exactly the same without a warm up time. :)

For "mass scanning" the fancy Fujitsu's are nice.

Yes Strobe XP 450 = DocuMate 250. My scanner is not a duplex. The main use of duplex scanning is for "Mass Archiving entire large charts".

I rarely get two sided documents. I usually only get two sided documents in transfer charts where they have photocopied the chart and saved paper by duplexing.

I am reading problems ( http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/paperport/message/49170 ) with Xerox DocuMate 510 and Paperport 11.
  5. Jason

I want a scanner to perform this ONE function.

scan black and white pages ----to---> black and white DPI 200, searchable .pdf with no wait with one button press.

Finding a scanner is hard because many scanning programs don't work with all scanners. ie. it looks like PaperPort 11 is not compatible with the 510 even though it says it on some official websites.

Q: qilin can you test the 510 with PaperPort 11 ?

If it works I might get one. I need a flatbed.

6. qilin

qilin Member

My Documate 510 works fine with Paperport 11.I set three profiles as suggested by you: B&W 200 dpi PDF image for office documents, B&W 200 dpi searchable PDF for medical documents and 200 dpi grayscale for some handwritten notes.If in rare cases I need to scan in color, I will bring up the scan dialogue box.I use [pport] button from Synapse to scan into patients' folder. Haven't had any problem. I havent' tested everything though.

I think I will probably get a Xerox 252.
  7. Jason

Xerox Documate 252 will have a scan delay though.
  8. Jason

[quote user="qilin"]

B&amp;W 200 dpi <u>searchable</u> PDF for medical documents

[/quote]

What version of Omnipage do you have ?

9. qilin

qilin Member

<blockquote>Xerox Documate 252 will have a scan delay though.</blockquote>Can you exlain? It's not the warming up time you're talking I assume.<blockquote>What version of Omnipage do you have ?</blockquote>15
  10. Jason

yea. warmup time.
  11. qilin

qilin Member

Same problem with our 510 now, then. Don't know if a Fujitsu or Canon is better and worth a little extra money.
  12. Jason

I want a cheapy scanner to just do B&amp;W,200dpi,pdf searchable. No wait time. Doesn't even have to do multiple documents as far as I am concerned.
  13. Jason

Fujitsus are great.

but as I said,

knowing what you want the scanner to do, and what software it needs to work well with is the key.

more scanners (if you have the room) is better.
  14. samlock

samlock New Member

Zybex has used the Fujitsu ScanSnap series for > 3 years.

We've installed 12-15 of them. Real work horse, solidly built. NO WARM UP.

Multiple sheet feeder, duplex, auto-color detection. Pricey, ~ $500 USD, but worth it

Current Model is S500, replaces the 5110EX.
  15. Graham

Graham Developer Staff Member

Does it generate auto-incrementing unique file names?
  16. qilin

qilin Member

S500doesn't have a twain driver. Does S500 work with Paperport?
  17. Jason

<table bgcolor="#cccccc" border="0" cellpadding="1" cellspacing="1" id="table4" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td bgcolor="#ffffff" valign="top" width="200">Additional Information</td><td bgcolor="#ffffff" valign="top" width="800">Output: Color/B&amp;W/Automatic color and B&amp;W detection</td></tr></tbody></table>

How does the auto color detection work ?

My need is ... I want all documents in Black and White. Pink sheets with black text when scanned on my scanner come out totally black as Paperport thinks the pink is "dark enough" to deem it as black not white. If I adjust the contrast, (to a setting of 30), the B &amp; W document looks appropriate (ie. the pink is determined to be white, not black).

Could this be done automatically with the Scan Snap ?
  18. Jason

I believe the ScanSnaps have problems with PaperPort.

here are some quotes.

Here is a good price -->

http://www.ctistore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&amp;Product_Code=PA03360-B505&amp;Category_Code=&amp;gclid=CLzAmdmGkYoCFRCOgAodCB_UgA

> ScanSnap&rsquo;s only feature that some may not like is that it uses its
    > own proprietary scanner driver, and thus you are unable to scan
    > directly from the PaperPort scanner interface. However, you only
    > need to press the ScanSnap&rsquo;s scan button and set up the S500 to scan
    > to a file you specify in setup. (I have it set up to scan to a file
    > I call &ldquo;New Scanned Docs&rdquo; which I access from within PaperPort to
    > process [edit, rename and file] those documents.)

>You can't alter a Scansnap pdf in paperport straightway but the file is converted to a Paperport Pdf version as a copy which can be altered (e.g. notations, rotation, etc.)
  19. Jason

I sometimes forget my goal is to be rid of PaperPort.

I only use PaperPort for scanning now, so it should be easy. I am pretty sure we don't even often view documents in PaperPort anymore. I know I don't.

20. DrO

DrO New Member

As I have said before I have a ScanSnap. It is great! I scan certain documents like checks into a paperport directory. I have set up the scan to be B&amp;W regardless of the color of the check.

I have another setting for scanning documents into my Medicare Directory. We only have to select the patients directory and Name the file. For instance a PT-INR for Peter Viera would go to V/Viera,Peter/07 PT-INR 021407. Of course a "searchable" PDF file.

If I want to fax this report to the cardiologist I open the PDF file with Adobe and print it to the Fax printer. Of it goes!!

We have another setting for scanning color pictures, usually of ulcers sent by home health agencies, into the appropriate Medicare folder.

Not having a twain driver, ScanSnap cannot be controlled by other programs. BIG DEAL!!

Adobe Acrobat standard comes with ScanSnap. It produces "seachable" files. You can use the Typewriter feature to annotate the file and you can affix a stamped signature to the document.

The pdf documents can be encrypted. Printing and editing can be controlled.

I received a record request for a patient's file several months ago. We had scanned the 250 pages into the patient's directory. We combined the pdf files into a large document. I encrypted the document, giving only printing permission and loaded the file to a USB drive, 32MB. I got the drive in a statin promotion. I used a "lock", a 30 day trial of a program that would encrypt and "lock" the whole file in a USB drive. I mailed the USB drive to the Doctor with instructions to call my office for the keys to unlock the USB drive and to open the pdf file. Total cost <$1.00, except for the time spent doing the scanning etc. Using his Acrobat reader the Doctor could select those pages he wanted to print or to import the whole document into his EMR. His choice, his money!

DrO