Free electronic prescribing for all USA based physicians

Discussion in 'Feature: Requests and Planning' started by Graham, Jan 16, 2007.

1. Graham

Graham Developer Staff Member

http://www.nationalerx.com/

Web based free prescribing .. don't know how this is going to work with Synapse EMR ... but all please sign up. There's a free pocket pc for the first 250 signups in each region. ( their sign up form seems broken .. might have to wait till they fix it! )

<p class="style2">FREE electronic prescribing&hellip;

for every physician in America.
    The National ePrescribing Patient Safety Initiative (NEPSI)
    is a joint project of dedicated organizations that each play a unique
    role in resolving the current crisis in preventable medication errors.

Electronic prescribing (eRx) is a viable solution to counter
    shortcomings of the current paper-based prescribing processes that are
    in large part responsible for these errors. However, accessibility and
    cost barriers have slowed adoption of eRx by providers.

Until now.

The goal of NEPSI is to increase patient safety by making eRx
    accessible&mdash;and desirable&mdash;to all physicians by providing it free of
    charge.

The eRx software provided by NEPSI is

Simple &ndash; Online prescribing is easier than a script pad

Smart &ndash; Instant checks on drug interactions, dosage levels and patient-specific factors including prior adverse reactions

Safe &ndash; Patient information protected by privacy and security measures including physician authentication
  2. Graham

3. Jason

Jason Developer / Handyman Staff Member

It would appear that this eRX initiative is geared towards doctors without an EMR.

I don't think a doctor without an EMR would be that much more effective a practitioner because he signed up with an eRX company.

If this product had a more robust way of integrating into EMRs, it would be interesting news. That doesn't seem to be the way *YET*.

4. Graham

Since it is a web based product, it would just be a way of chickenscripting it [:)]

5. Jason

[quote user="Graham"]

Since it is a web based product, it would just be a way of chickenscripting it [:)]

[/quote]

heh. that would be cool.
  6. qilin

qilin Member

Signed up and wrote my first two e-prescriptions yesterday. A free andeasy solution for me since I don't have a large volume of rx to write. Straightforward to use. Now looking forward to Synapse's eprescribing. What about this chickenscripting to integrate Synapse and Allscripts?
  7. Graham

Qilin, you're the first person I know of to sign up to this.

I understand that many of the major PMS suppliers have ways to upload all the patient demographics so that you don't have to enter the patients twice.

I haven't seen the web interface, but because it is browser based it may be possible to script this using chickenfoot scripts.

Can you do a screencapture of the web interface?

8. qilin

qilin Member

Sure.

Patient list (today's) after log-in:
    [​IMG]

When a patient is selected, relative information will show on top:
    [​IMG]

Click "select med" button from above window will bring up list of all meds for this patient, including meds prescribed by other MDs (anything in the pharmacy database):
    [​IMG]

Search window for Topamax:
    [​IMG]

Select Sig:
    [​IMG]

After review, click "process script pad" button to send to pharmacy, for a new patient, select a pharmacy from the database first.

This is the link for tutorial with video, but maybe only accessable for registered users: https://eprescribe.allscripts.com/help/tutorial.html
  9. qilin

qilin Member

Allscripts has instructions on how to import patient's list from existing database. I didn't bother since I only write script for a small percentage of patients in my database. They also offer HL-7 inferface for pulling data real time from many current PM/EMR productsfor a fee ($295 + $19.99/month): their premium interface partners include over 100 companies, to nane a few: Amazing Charts, Dbase, DBS, eClinicalWorks, EZ Claim, Hippocrates, Lytec, Medinotes, Medisoft, NaviNet, NextGen, Perfectcare, etc. Allscripts PM and Misys PM users get it for free.

(Screenshot posting was blocked by the server)
  10. Graham

Are you able to email me the screenshot?

11. Graham

Are you able to email me the screenshot?

12. qilin

qilin Member

Sent.
  13. Graham

At present, free form prescribing allows the use of (Latin) abbreviations such as QID but e-prescribing requires that the amount be specified as a numeric. So, if you use an abbreviation, Synapse will have to decipher that and based on the dispensing period, calculate the amount required.

This is a potential problem as there are different abbreviations used in the US, and the UK derived health systems.

Eg. QD vs OD, QID vs QDS etc. And then there is the use of punctuation eg. B.I.D vs BID.

So, to facilitate unambiguous prescribing, I may be forced to ask users to enter the Sig portion from a drop list only as opposed to free forming.

I'll see if I can parse the Sig satisfactorily or not.

First rule I think is that punctuation is to be discouraged!
  14. Jason

Don't forget the Schedule in the shortcuts.

I really don't want to use dropdowns, so please have other options. (Dropdown = mouse = slow)

Good idea.

I am thinking of going to
    • daily
    • twice daily
    • three times daily
    • four times daily

mostly to make it easier for the patient to read.
  15. Graham

I think the pharmacist normally re-writes it out anyway.

Abbreviations only make sense if you are typing things out .. not if you're selecting from a list.

16. Jason

Yea. But when I give it to the patient (before the pharmacist), they like to read it.

At times, they catch problems like ... Dr. XYZ increased Drug ABC to twice a day .....

if it says OD, they probably wouldn't be able to catch these errors.

Yeah.
  17. Graham

[​IMG]

This is the parser in action .... translating the 5 x daily to 5/day
  18. Graham

I think I only need to calculate the doses per day for tablets, and capsules.

Any others?

19. Jason

Salbutamol 1-2 puffs tid-qid PRN ?
  20. Jason

Parser did OK with my Ontario Limited Use Codes, LU Codes.

Attached Files: