Faxing in Synapse - which product to integrate ?

Discussion in 'Feature: Requests and Planning' started by Graham, Jan 19, 2007.

1. qilin

qilin Member

4. Found out why, I set the printer to "Adobe PDF".
    does it create searchable PDF? if not, is there a way to automate the process of concerting?
  2. Jason

Jason Developer / Handyman Staff Member

I am on v3 server edition. I am going to 4 - not sure when.
  3. qilin

qilin Member

Tried to convert the fax PDF files to searchable PDF in Paperport. A 22 KB file was turned into a 635 KB file! Using MRC option resulted in a 290 KB file. Any idea why is that? I used "save as", selected "searchable PDF" option, color and resolution used "original" and "smallest file size" option.
  4. qilin

qilin Member

One way to get a reasonable file size is to print the file to "Paperport black & white image" printer and set in Paperport to print to searchable PDF. However, Paperport send the file to the current open folder by default. Meaning if I set Snappy Fax to automatically print to Paperport, I may not know which folder the file went since Paperport may be doing scanning on different patients and Snappy Fax is working on the background. Any suggestions?
  5. Graham

Graham Developer Staff Member

You likely need to have two PPort installs.

One on the pc doing the scanning and one on the server. And both pointing to the same files.

6. qilin

qilin Member

Another alternative is to use the same fax folder for Paperport scanning, without using [PPort] button to create folder for each patient. All faxes and scans go to one common folder and the receptionists sort everything from there.
  7. Jason

Welcome to PaperPort 11.

This is a well established problem.

No workarounds.
  8. qilin

qilin Member

Unfortunately, print the file to "Paperport black & white image" printer doesn't work, I got corrupted tif files as well.
  9. Jason

Qilin,

Q: Does Omnipage have an automated workflow that might watch a directory and trigger from there ?

Graham can control/change the current PaperPort directory .. is there a "script execution" option in Snappyfax 4 ?

Too bad SnappyFax can't make a searchable PDF. It says it can OCR ... not sure why it wouldn't make a searchable PDF. Actually searchable PDF creation is a special feature of PaperPort with OmniPage installed. If anything, it'd be Omnipage itself that would make a image PDF from Snappy fax into a PDF searchable. My guess is that it's doable.

10. qilin

qilin Member

Will have to take a look
    Haven't found any. Strangely enough, Snappy Fax network server successfully printed to "Paperport black & white image" printer automatically and generated searchable PDF on Paperport desktop! I am playing with the trial versions of both now. I may have to look elsewhere other than Snappy Fax.

Jason, what's your solution now? Do you OCR incoming fax?
  11. Jason

No OCR of incoming fax. I've never really thought of it. I do receive some faxes that I keep. Most things I receive come in the mail or in my box at the hospital.

Actually come to think of it ... what I automatically print everything that Snappy Fax receives. So we scan in the received faxes we want. I also auto generate a .pdf of every fax I receive. I currently don't do anything with them - they just pile up in a directory I don't use. I receive 10 faxes per day. At five cents per page (toner + paper) the cost of the wasted paper is meaningless.
  12. Graham

But it's a work flow issue.

All my faxes now end up in my inbox ...and don't get printed.

13. qilin

qilin Member

Now I made a "Fax and Scan" folder. I set Snappy Fax to print to searchable PDF files saved automatically in this folder. This is also the default scan folder for Paperport and Synapse. The receptionists will sort the incoming faxes and decide whether to file them to Synapse server, print them or discard them. So when they are busy checking in patients and scanning intake forms and insurance cards, incoming faxes are not ignored. Print them out and scan them again would cost more time and money. Actually, I was forced to do so today since our main multifunction machine's drum went out and all incoming faxes print out terribly and not scannable.

I may not be able to use Graham's method since we're two MDs. My associate is still using paper and not used to the paperless idea yet.
  14. qilin

qilin Member

Snappy Fax server failed to receive faxes for certain places?

The receptionist noticed problem recieving faxes from Quest and another physician's office, most other faxes are fine. I had to quit Snappy Fax and forward these faxes to the fax machine then restart Snappy Fax afterwards. Any quick answers here?
  15. Jason

Re: Snappy Fax server failed to receive faxes for certain places?

what fax modem ?

I used to have certain fax machines that wouldn't play nicely with my fax modem. Some modems are better than others.
  16. qilin

qilin Member

Conexant D850 56K v. 9x DFVc Modem
    came with the Dell PC.
  17. Graham

$10 winmodems are not usually reliable enough to be used as a fax server.

18. Jason

My suggestions

(1) update the modem driver. (easy, unlikely to help) -- check dell first. I found this about your modem -- does it apply to you ?

http://support.us.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&releaseid=R70165&formatcnt=1&libid=0&fileid=91278

read it more carefully.

(2) change to any other modem. Changing modems seems to help. There are weirdo not well understood interactions between modems, software, and windows that prevents all fax software from picking up some calls from some locations.

(2.5) I put snappy fax on a $400 PC that I just use for faxing and printing. Your fax computer should be dedicated. Most EMR companies want you to buy a dedicated fax server with windows 2003, which is major overkill.

(3) Keep track of a list of the people your snappy fax won't pick up from. This will help you figure out if things are improved.

(4) Your modem doesn't appear to be "controller-based". That makes it less reliable. (see below).

(5) I'd get a controller-based modem.

(6) get a fax server board. These make fax software work very well. (Con: expensive).

Q: what percentage of calls will snappyfax not respond to ?

(7) if it's not looking good, try WinFax Pro.

#2 is the quick and dirty way to go. considering a modem is anywhere from $30-$60, your time is the major liability. I am not sure what the cheapest controller-based modem are. You might want to get one off ebay.

================
    Source: http://www.snappysoftware.com/faq.htm
    ===============

================
  19. qilin

qilin Member

Dell charged $30 for it, guess it belongs to category of cheap winmodems
    Have the current driver - driver was written in 2004 though - 3 years old
    Do you have specific model you recommend? Or, which are you using?
    So far I have known problem with two places
    Will look into that
    Probably I should do that too. I just ordered another PC from Dell for our other office with the same modem - before I heard of the problem. Had I knew that, I would have ordered one without modem and get a better modem. I will try the trouble shooting method from Snappy fax and see if there is any luck. What about an external modem connected to Synapse server PC - I know Graham doesn't like the idea of using anything else on the server.
  20. Graham

correction .. I don't like it when other people are using the server.

If it's just a fax server application, I have no problems with that.

Of course, I just set up a $100 pc with external modem, and installed Hylafax for my use.

Works like a charm though the automated OCR could be better ...