Enhance search function

Discussion in 'Feature: Requests and Planning' started by qilin, Sep 26, 2007.

1. Graham

Graham Developer Staff Member

[quote user="kgmamman"]

[:O] Never used the PHCP so far

[/quote]

This is the only way to show which patient is "owned" by which doc.
  2. kgmamman

kgmamman New Member

Q: do you have more than 1 doctor using Synapse ?

I head a unit with 4 other orthopaedic surgeons and we all do more or less the same surgeries. Must confess my 3 colleagues are not very fond of computers in general, however with me having introduced Synapse they are all thrilled.

Case:

From time to time we conduct audits especially for the expensive surgeries and this doubt came up when we decided to audit ACL and TKR's. The audit proposed was pertaining to an individual/spreference of treatmentand therefore the question came up as how to pull up the cases of Dr X to see if he was more successful in treating cases rather conservatively (and saving money [:D]) compared to Dr Y who was more radical.

I dont think coding would work here as the codes for ACL's would be the same for all doctors.

Yes Jason is right, the entry is not systematic

I wonder if my case is clear enough?
  3. kgmamman

kgmamman New Member

[quote user="Graham"][quote user="kgmamman"]

[:O] Never used the PHCP so far

[/quote]

This is the only way to show which patient is "owned" by which doc.

[/quote]

Now i get the point. All the while my impression was who ever entered the details owned the patient.
  4. Graham

>Now i get the point. All the while my impression was who ever entered the details owned the patient.

That would mean the receptionists would own all the patients![;)]
  5. kgmamman

kgmamman New Member

Sadly in our case we never got them to do it and we have been doing it on our own [:(]
  6. Jason

Jason Developer / Handyman Staff Member

I can think up one potential method to populate the PHCP field with the "correct" surgeon. It would depend on if each patient had the surgeon's name "somewhere" in a consult note. It would assume that only that surgeon's name appeared in the patient's files.

Method: search through consult notes for a patient for the surgeon's name. If the surgeon's name was Firstname Lastname ... search for Lastname .... and if it exists ... change that patient's PHCP to Lastname.
  7. kgmamman

kgmamman New Member

Where does the PHCP entry go in in the Report - Query - Build Query field?
  8. Graham

There isn't a way to query on this field at present.

But a 3rd party tool like Crystal Reports could build the report for you.
  9. Jason

I was envisioning it might be doable in IBOconsole.

10. Graham

IBOconsole allows you to enter sql queries .. but it does not construct them for you.

So, you need a QBE tool.
  11. Jerry

Jerry Administrator Staff Member

Just a plug for open source -- Sun Report Builder is relatively new to the OpenOffice suite. It's an extension that's installed to "stock" OpenOffice. Looks a lot like Access, does grouping, etc, and has a QBE tool. "Stock" OpenOffice Base does have a QBE tool, but they have improved it in recent releases.
  12. Graham

Jerry, have you actually used it to query the Synapse database?

If so, how hard was it?
  13. Jerry

Jerry Administrator Staff Member

I haven't used an RDBMS to connect to remr.fdb at all yet (other than isql when we were working on the Synapse LivePC). I have used OpenOffice BASE for other projects, however. It's QBE tool works pretty much just like Access. My main criticism of BASE so far (I haven't used it with OpenOffice 2.4 at all) is that the HSQLDB database engine works fine and is fast, but the OpenOffice Writer as a report and form tool is very slow. I haven't used Sun Report Builder yet, but have read about it and It's supposed to be OK - I'm hoping its' significantly faster than OO Writer. I will try it soon and report as to how well it actually seems to work with Synapse.
  14. Jason

Might be interesting to bundle a customized version of OO with Synapse.
  15. kgmamman

kgmamman New Member

Used crystallreports standard edition X1 and i am not able to open the database. Cannot find a .FDB file format in the drop down menu. Is it possible to change to file extension?

Attached Files:

16. Graham

I see an "all files" in the drop down.

Firebird doesn't use the file extension ... so you could rename it as long as you also change your System DSN in the ODBC manager.

17. Graham

Actually I would have thought Crystal Reports would allow you to use the DSN rather than open the database directly.

This means you either would create a DSN on one of the client PCs, or run it on the Server.

Disclaimer: never used CR
  18. Graham

Actually I would have thought Crystal Reports would allow you to use the DSN rather than open the database directly.

This means you either would create a DSN on one of the client PCs, or run it on the Server.

Disclaimer: never used CR
  19. kgmamman

kgmamman New Member

qilin, how do you open a firebird databse with MS Access?
  20. Graham

I downloaded OpenOffice.org 2.4 and connected okay to the Synapse database.

I was able to build simple queries but I think I am going to have to do some reading to see how joins are done.