Drug Interaction: multiple agents with serotonergic activity

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jason, May 25, 2012.

1. Jason

Jason Developer / Handyman Staff Member

I've had two calls from pharmacists in the last few months regarding drug interactions with Tramadol. I can't say I'm an overall fan of this drug, but I am prescribing it at times.

The last one was a SSRI interacting with Tramadol. I told the pharmacist to ignore the interaction.
    Today's was between Tramadol and almotriptan.

It looks like goal here is to avoid multiple agents with serotonergic activity. Hmmm ... Yes, I get it, Serotonin Syndrome ... it certainly can be bad. That being said, 37.5mg of Tramadol and a 12.5mg of almotriptan (Axert) seems like pretty low risk. I would think that 40mg of citalopram and 400mg of Tramadol might be riskier ... but how risky is that ? I'm also thinking that my migraine patients might like a bit of the extra Serotonin. This drug interaction sounds like more benefit than risk. I'm also wondering does a tiny dose of tramadol and a tiny dose of almotriptan actually confer a MAJOR risk ?

What I'd like to know is ... should I be getting calls when 2 drugs have anticholinergic effects ? That would be alot of work !

multiple.serotonergic.drugs.MAJOR.interaction.tramadol.almotriptan.jpg

Hmmm ...
  2. Graham

Graham Developer Staff Member

Reading about every single drug interaction is a lot of work ....
    Jason likes this.