Deleting a patient record

Discussion in 'Setup & Installation' started by kgmamman, Jul 28, 2007.

1. kgmamman

kgmamman New Member

Hello, I am new to SynapseDirect. Having gone through the training video I know how to add patient details. However I cannot figure out how do I delete a patient?. Thanks
  2. Graham

Graham Developer Staff Member

There is no facility to delete a patient. This is intentional.

If you were just experimenting, then you can download a new database and start from scratch again.
  3. Jason

Jason Developer / Handyman Staff Member

Certainly is a common question for new testers.

We do need to have a patient status, maybe deleted would be a status as well.

I have alot of dead patients still coming up in searches ... I'd like to find a way of eliminating them from searches and data mining.

4. Graham

So, you want flags for patients who have deceased, and for those who have left your practice?

5. armdpa

armdpa New Member

deceased, left practiced, no longer active... (i think i have seen this checkbox somewhere), or as i have had...staff errors that put a patient into the database accidentally ... or multiple instances for the same patient. When it was caught the 2 were merged...manually. and the we changed the second instancesname to ERRORJohn ERRORDoe but it would have been nice to make him disappear entirely. I suppose, if i really wanted to and had the time i could perform the ?Rebol equivalent of an sql command to delete the fields. For practices that are busy i could see staff easily duplicating records for the same patient inadvertently and a situation where you would want to delete...or flag out of existence.
    just my 2 cents on down time.
  6. Graham

What's the difference between left the practice and no longer active?
  7. Jason

The point here is that there should be end-user definable options.

I'd say they are similar, but "left practice" = definite, and "no longer active" = haven't been around in a long while.

For me I will need to keep track of things like:

Is the patient "Rostered" ? or is the patient Fee For Service ? Did the patient refuse rostering or did I suggest not to roster ?

We might want to be able to search for archived patients.

Really, different practices will have different needs to computerize a patient's status.

I don't think just one variable will cover the options.

For a bigger group, they might have programs such as a Diabetes Program or a COPD program. These groups would want to flag a patient's chart that they are involved in a certain program. Maybe an aggressive billing doctor would want to flag patients whom have excellent insurance to treat them differently in their practice.
  8. Jason

I need a way to mark the patient's status.

dead

moved

whatever I want

Any ideas here ?
  9. Graham

Where on the screen do you think it might fit?

10. Jason

No idea.
  11. Jerry

Jerry Administrator Staff Member

Maybe there would be room for a small flag on the patient screen, near their name. Maybe it could be a column on the table GUI when looking a the que of patient names on the search screen. I agree with Jason that the ability to flag the status of a patient is pretty important to a lot of practices. BTW, can Synapse track all the name and address changes a patient has ever had? This is a CCHIT standard that also seems important to me.
  12. Graham

>> BTW, can Synapse track all the name and address changes a patient has
    ever had? This is a CCHIT standard that also seems important to me.

Not at this time. It could be easily added though using a trigger in the database.

13. Jason

>> BTW, can Synapse track all the name and address changes a patient has
    ever had?

Interesting requirement.

I can't say I'd be that interested in it, but it sounds relatively easy to do.
  14. Jason

ReThinking this lately.

Attached Files: