Collaborative wordprocessor

Discussion in 'Hardware and Software Tips and Suggestions' started by Graham, Feb 28, 2007.

1. Graham

Graham Developer Staff Member

2. Jason

Jason Developer / Handyman Staff Member

3. Graham

Basically look at developing a suite of recommended applications ( low cost ) to use with Synapse EMR.

A WP though needs a com interface .. this one probably doesn't.

4. Jason

What's the Word Processor going to do ?

I am all for leveraging apps to help with synapse, but why not just use Word ? It's popular, something alot of offices have anyway. It's going to be 20 years, if ever, when doctor's offices will be NIX only. It's just not going to happen. 2 years into Vista and I think prognosticating will be easier to do, but still, the focus should be making Synapse more functional, not more NIX.

Wouldn't having some sort of markup of Synapse Consult editor be alot more useful ?

Tables would be nice.
  5. Graham

Well, it's a little innovative, but also a little cumbersome. You can import Word, WP, and PDF documents and images into your current document and share with another person. Or permanently keep your docs on their web service.

As they say, it's pretty lightweight at present .. have to wait and see how it develops. Without a way to export from Synapse .. I can't see it being of that much use yet.

As for customizing the Synapse consult editor .. that's not on my current horizon. It's a text editor, and not a WYSIWYG editor. I have to think about the possible paths to this.

6. Jason

Tables in the output would be nice. That's more of what I am looking for.
  7. Graham

Tables in the postscript output?

8. Jason

Yeah. So the output doesn't look so bear and the output isn't needlessly long.
  9. Graham

I think if you want sophisticated output, you need to export to MSWord.

I have asked the Corel people if they have any intention of adding Com support to Lightning.

10. Graham

Some more ideas on this... their system allows for shared storage. I presume it's secure.

Patients who don't use a portal, could use this to store their medical records, and allow their carers to upload/download from a designated area of their storage. I presume that their system would need some tweaking to enable this, and I have made some suggestions.

Synapse would like a way to automate this .. so, using Com, we could drive Lightning to upload a file to the patient's repository. Like Paperport I guess.