Can Run Windows Synapse Client on Linux using Wine, Need help with getting Synapse Server to work wi

Discussion in 'Feature: Requests and Planning' started by Jerry, Feb 3, 2008.

1. Jason

Jason Developer / Handyman Staff Member

Even though Ghostscript has an install program, my feeling is that it doesn't require you to run the installer program ... as long as the files are there. I'll try this to verify.
  2. Jerry

Jerry Administrator Staff Member

Graham,

The SynapseEMRClient.exe installer did install gs and GSview to Wine, but I didn't check yet to make sure they will work under Wine -- they should. Wine replicates Windows printing with its own version of gdi.dll and so forth. What I was referring to was that even if I can't get Wine to print as a "native" Windows printing system, I can always use Linux tools to print any ps or pdf files generated. But, very likely GSview and gs will work in Wine just as they do on a "native" Windows installation of the synapse client. I will test that tonight and report back how it works.
  3. Jerry

I should have mentioned that Wine's gdi32.dll communicates with the existing Linux printing system to print. Wine can issues an lpr command directly to print (or cups-lpr) etc. Puppy Linux version 3.0.1 that I used is directly compatible with Slackware, and has the CUPS printing system installed, which is good because CUPS has thousands of print drivers. The bad news is that CUPS is just a bit flaky on Puppy Linux 3.0.1. But I expect Barry Kauler and the crew to fix this (they are very responsive) and Puppy is due for a new release any time. So very likely this problem will be fixed shortly anyway.
  4. Graham

Graham Developer Staff Member

This is not a big problem because I can build a native linux client.

5. Jason

But we should still concentrate on Core Synapse improvements vs. Linux.

Especially if Jerry can get it working on Puppy Linux.
  6. Graham

Hopefully we shall have a Live PC to play with today [:D]
  7. Jerry

[quote user="Graham"]Hopefully we shall have a Live PC to play with today [:D]
    [/quote]

Graham obtained the new synapse-puppy-3.0.1.iso file from me today and reports everything seems to be working OK so far. He already has figured out how to change the setting in Wine's implementation of the Windows registry so the environment variable points to the user's own synapse server and user name.

GSview and ghostscript do indeed work inside Wine on the new Live CD.

More testing to follow, but I agree with Jason that it's good the new Live CD appears to be working with synapse the same as on Windows so there is no "wasted" development time on two different OS's.
  8. Graham

Sadly there are a few problems:

1. If I set the environment variables in the shell, and then wine synapse.exe, it works okay. But if i use the gui to launch, then it
    doesn't know about the environment.
    2. All decimals on the screen are being displayed in scientific notation :(( This really screws up the display in my graphs tab
    3. The local embedded web server doesn't appear to be running. Synapse is supposed to launch another instance of itself just to
    act as a web server on localhost:8001

You can test this on any Synapse .. by pointing your web server to http://localhost:8001/shutdown.pl and a shut down message is seen. Actually anything ending in .pl will do this.

If anyone wishes to test, then the iso can be got from here. The iso image is about 240Mb.

9. Graham

BTW, none of these is an insurmountable problem.

10. Jason

11. Graham

REBOL is using a windows function for decimal to ascii conversion that wine implements incorrectly.

I need to write my own form function to reformat, or I need to get the wine guys to fix this!

12. Graham

Apparently the decimal issue is a long standing Wine bug so it looks unlikely to be fixed soon.

I have compiled a Linux version which needs some testing.

Jerry, what is the viewer on puppy for postscript and pdf files? Previously I was using Evince on Fedora.

13. Graham

I've also uploaded a beta-31 for windows which has some fixes for the decimal display bug so that it works better on Wine, but there are some more areas I need to apply the fix.

14. Jason

Sounds like quite a bit of hard work.

What is it you are having to code around (in non Rebol-speak).

[:)]
  15. Graham

Every decimal is being displayed in scientific notation [:S]

Jerry, I don't think this looks good .. for the last 30 mins or so, there's been a red message saying "saving ram to puppy_save file" or something, and cpu has been running 100%. I decided to shut down. Now there's a unionfs: message "new lower inode ctime" on the screen.

The current problems I have identified with the linux build is that
    • browser doesn't invoke
    • ghostscript is not creating pdfs
    I need to try it on other versions of linux
  16. Jason

[quote user="Graham"]

Every decimal is being displayed in scientific notation [:S]

[/quote]

OUCH !

Decimals play a big role in medicine [:)]

Although, I like the idea of the server running on NIX, I'm not sure it's going to ultra key.

One Windows 2000 server in an office isn't that bad !

All the clients can be NIX.

Jerry I run synapse-server.exe off a $300 Windows XP box and I've had no problems.

You don't need a big outlay to get Synapse Server up and running well.

You could use a cheap Windows Box until a NIX distro is found.

Just thinking out loud here.

17. Graham

Jason

The reason we are pursuing this is so that we can get Synapse up and running from a bootable thumb drive. A take and use anywhere EMR.

18. Jason

Synapse already is a take and use anywhere EMR.

Why move around the database when you can use Synapse over the internet so easily already ? Keep the database on a robust server at your main office and just hookup wherever you are.

So, the goal is to go to another office, put the thumb drive with Synapse Puppy Linux edition on it in the drive, boot that PC to Linux and use that box as a NIX box ?

19. Graham

Although Synapse is a use from anywhere EMR, it is not yet a set up by anyone EMR. There are people who lack the technical skills, or resources, to install their own ASP server, and maintain it. This is for them.

20. Graham

There are a number of goals with this.
    • Have a USB drive as a means to run Synapse Client on any PC and not leave any patient traces on the host machine. In this scenario, you run or have access to a remote server, and don't want to carry a laptop around with you
    • Run both the client and server on the USB drive because you don't have internet access. This database is your main database, or, you copy it back at the office to your main PC/server.
    • This is also a great technology demonstration when doing presentations
    • It also allows us to upload a complete working server/client environment for users to evaluate. No licensing issues with Windows.
    • Depending on the host, we may be able to automatically discover and use services like printers etc.
    • This development leads to a robust linux server version for use in an office or remote hosted environment