Build 189 beta-2

Discussion in 'New Release and Beta Release Information' started by Graham, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Graham

Graham Developer Staff Member

Download from: http://www.compkarori.com/emr/synapse.exe

We have a new online drug interaction checking tool using the forms at http://www.drugdigest.org/

This button is available on the Medications tab, as well as in the Medications popup.

It first downloads the drug list from their site, looks for matches and mismatches, and then fills in their form for you generating a result.

It only downloads the drug list once each session of Synapse.

Let me know if you have any problems.
  2. Jason

Jason Developer / Handyman Staff Member

Re: Build 189 beta-2

This worked well for me and quite fast for patient's current medications.

However the clinical scenario for me might be ... could I add drug X to what the patient is already taking ?

I don't think it's a great option to have to add the medication first ... and then check.

If I added the medication ... wouldn't it show up in some medication LOG ? I would then be deleting the drug and trying another :)

Is it possible to also send to the drug checker the typed text in the Drug:[_____________] Dose: [____] field .. ?

That way (at least in the Medications section in the Popup and Consults Tab) I could check for interactions before "ADDING"

3. Jason

4 potential interactions were found for the drugs you selected.

You searched for interactions between the following drugs:
    • [*]chlorthalidone [*]clarithromycin [*]lipitor

Add or Delete Drugs <------ I take it that it's not possible to get this working .... ie. to be able to add drugs while on their page ?

Start Over with a New List of Drugs

(Note: Not all drug interactions are known or reported in the literature, and new drug interactions are continually being reported. This information is provided only for your education and for you to discuss with your personal healthcare provider. )

ATORVASTATIN CALCIUM(in Lipitor)may interact with CLARITHROMYCIN

Clarithromycin may block the breakdown of atorvastatin by the liver. If this happens, blood levels of atorvastatin could be increased. This could cause a serious or potentially life-threatening side effect that involves the destruction of muscle tissue and could lead to kidney failure. Avoid using these drugs together if possible, However, if it is necessary to take clarithromycin and atorvastatin at the same time, you may be advised to watch for symptoms like unexplained muscle pain, tenderness, or weakness or urine discoloration. Ask your healthcare provider about these drugs and this potential interaction as soon as possible.

This interaction is well-documented and is considered major in severity.

Last Updated: December 2003
    <hr size="1" width="95%" />

ATORVASTATIN CALCIUM(in Lipitor)may interact with GRAPEFRUIT JUICE

Grapefruit juice may block the breakdown of atorvastatin in the intestines and thus more atorvastatin can get absorbed into the bloodstream. Increased blood levels of atorvastatin could be could cause a serious or potentially life-threatening side effect that involves the destruction of muscle tissue and could lead to kidney failure. Avoid taking atorvastatin with any form of grapefruit, including the actual fruit as well as drinks and nutritional supplements that contain grapefruit juice. Discuss this potential interaction with your healthcare provider at your next appointment, or sooner if you think you are having problems.

This interaction is poorly documented and is considered moderate in severity.

Last Updated: June 2006

CLARITHROMYCINmay interact with GRAPEFRUIT JUICE

Grapefruit juice may block the breakdown of clarithromycin in the intestines. This could cause an increase in blood levels of clarithromycin which could increase the risk of side effects from this antibiotic. Potential side effects of clarithromycin include headache, diarrhea, and nausea. You should avoid drinking grapefruit juice or eating grapefruit while taking clarithromycin. Discuss this potential interaction with your healthcare provider at your next appointment, or sooner if you think you are having problems.

This interaction is poorly documented and is considered major in severity.

Last Updated: June 2006

FOODmay interact with CLARITHROMYCIN

Food may decrease the absorption of certain forms of clarithromycin from the stomach. If this happens, then p
  4. Graham

[quote user="Jason"]4 potential interactions were found for the drugs you selected.

You searched for interactions between the following drugs:
    • chlorthalidone
    • clarithromycin
    • lipitor

Add or Delete Drugs <------ I take it that it's not possible to get this working .... ie. to be able to add drugs while on their page ?

[/quote]

Not sure what you mean. You can certainly use their link to modify the list of drugs you want to check.
  5. Jason

Doesnt seem to work when I click on it. Does it work for you ?

6. Graham

Re: Build 189 beta-3

Seems to work for me.

And 189 beta-3 is now out. Tries harder to resolve the drug mapping to DrugDigest, and offers you a selection of possibilities.

I am hoping that final 189 will allow you to save these choices in a drug name mapping table.

Other changes includes a new field for the default ethnicity ( Settings/Ethnicity)

7. Graham

Re: Build 189 beta-4

Just noticed your suggestion to also check the drug sitting in the field waiting to be added - good idea!

Added in 189 beta-4
  8. Graham

Re: Build 189 beta-4

Build 189 has now been released.