ALTME is buggy

Discussion in 'Rebol' started by YueM, Jan 17, 2010.

1. YueM

YueM New Member

One more question, forgive me for my ignorance, being new to Rebol, but an old hand with development using other languages.

Is Altme owned by RT? because I am still baffled why they went this route when obviously, a web forum or browser based would have been better.
  2. henrikmk

henrikmk New Member

I'm not sure about the ownership, but development has been taken over by Carl after having been administered by Safeworlds, Inc. who are now building QTask.com.

I completely disagree regarding the your comments on the route AltME took. I think if you started with an empty world, you would see AltME in an different light, so it's actually only the issue of downloading the message list you disagree with, as you haven't really tried out the rest of the program or followed a discussion on AltME. You could say the same with newsgroups, where I unsuccessfully tried to get a whole list, back in the early 2000's, when I was still on dialup and so I gave up on the concept.

It's also interesting that I started with AltME back in the dialup days in 2003 with no problems at all.

Going the same route again with a new implementation of AltME is a no-brainer. AltME is getting old and R3 will eventually get its successor Altisimmo implemented.

A phenomenon that I've only seen on AltME has become "magic code optimization". You post a piece of code and wait half a day and someone has optimized it! Sometimes with methods you didn't know about. I noticed that people have a tendency to do that, a phenomenon barely seen on the forums and mailing lists that have been around.

I attribute this to the less-than-a-second turnaround time you get from posting, till you are able to post again without having to deal with the user interface of a forum. Perhaps that's why the number of posts is about a factor of 1000-10000 higher than on the REBOL mailing lists and forums. Also, a nice thing is ability to both post several kb of code or a single word, without disrupting the normal function of the program, like you would on an IM client or IRC with poor to no backlogging. Combining this with messaging persistence makes it truly gold.

I couldn't pay a hundred thousand dollars for a similar level of support.
  3. YueM

YueM New Member

yes if someone started right when altme rebol world was introduced, the local database would already be fully updated on his local machine by now. but what about the next 100000 new rebol users that Rebol wants to attract ? if 50% of them are on slow connection, it's still going to be a problem for them, isn't it ?

besides the slow connection, there is also the question If someone really wants to keep all this messages on his machine. Many people don't want that.

let's hope altissimo is more "friendly to slow connection".

I am not sure, about the code optimization is something that happens only on altme. On other forums too, it happens. I think it is more related to the users participating than the medium itself. the willingness of someone to help his fellow user group member is somehow inherent to one's personality, though the fact that rebol is a small community encourages this behaviour more. the same thing can be said for our societies in which we live, in a small rural community, people help each other way more than say if you live in a extra large mega city like new york.

the main problem I have seen in this synapse forum, is that if you take some time to type in your reply, it will ask you to refresh and log in again, although at the top it still has "welcome YueM" . I think this is something specific with this forum and not something I have experienced in other forums. It could be a bug or it could a forum default setting.

Maybe Graham can provide some clarifications why we get the following:-

The following errors occurred with your submission

1. You do not have permission to perform this action. Please refresh the page and login before trying again.
  4. Graham

Graham Developer Staff Member

I too have noticed odd things about the cookie handling of this board .. I'll post a message to the admin.
  5. Jason

Jason Developer / Handyman Staff Member

I have noticed a problem where I login ... but it doesn't appear by the login box at the top that I am logged in ... but when I click elsewhere in the forums I am actually logged in .... I also see myself as logged in by looking at the Currently Active Users list. Trying to figure it out ...
  6. Graham

Graham Developer Staff Member

Maybe it's a browser issue? I'm using Chrome 4 ...