Windows 7

Discussion in 'Hardware and Software Tips and Suggestions' started by Graham, Jul 11, 2009.

1. Graham

Graham Developer Staff Member

I downloaded the Windows 7 RC and Synapse works fine under this environment.

The other interesting thing about Windows 7 is that some instances (including RC1 ) allow you to run Virtual PC, and XP mode. XP mode allows you to run any application using Virtual PC eg. XP apps which is great for compatibility issues. But, if MS do it correctly, it may also sandbox these apps so that they don't threaten your main OS. So, for instance, you could run your browser inside the virtual PC and basically not worry about viruses and spyware infecting the main OS.

And this virtual PC would be compatible with Synapse's multi-CPU control offering.

XP mode is a misnomer as it can be used to run any flavor of windows.

2. Graham

Seems that the virtual XP is on a different subnet.

3. Jerry

Jerry Administrator Staff Member

Just put a 1 TB HD in my synapse client machine and installed Windows 7 Ultimate (apparently not RC anymore). Hamachi, Teamviewer, and all the stuff I need for synapse connectivity are working fine. I like the new network mapping feature -- auto-generates a network map and lets you click on routers, etc.

I'm "upgrading" from Win2k on this machine. I finally gave up .. USB drivers especially are very antiquated (and very slow) on Win2k.

I don't see the XP mode thing in this version.
  4. Graham

You haave to download it ~400mb