unresponsive windows

Discussion in 'Bugs & Issues' started by qilin, Feb 16, 2007.

1. qilin

qilin Member

Symptoms happen quite a few times already, haven't figured out a cause.

1. When adding a new result, some times after clicking [synapse import], nothing happens and [Synapse Import] button dissapears, closing "add result window" and reopen doesn't fix the problem. Synapse has to be restarted.

2. After [Add New] consult, clicking on the consult doesn't open the Consultation editing window. I had to restart Synapse. The two times this happened, there was that chat window poping up after creating new consult, not sure if that's the reason.
  2. Jason

Jason Developer / Handyman Staff Member

[quote user="qilin"]

Symptoms happen quite a few times already, haven't figured out a cause.

1. When adding a new result, some times after clicking [synapse import], nothing happens and [Synapse Import] button dissapears, closing "add result window" and reopen doesn't fix the problem. Synapse has to be restarted.

[/quote]

Try to see what is says in the Status area (next time). I've imported well over 1000 (forget the actual number) items and I think I've had around 8 documents not make it to the other side (the server). I know the documents that don't make it because when I try to hit the [View Scan] button in my inbox, *there is no view scan button*!. I think there is some little nuance that I've seem that sounds similar to the issue you have had, I just can't say what it is.

Graham: I do have one suggestion, if Synapse detects that a file didn't upload properly. I don't just want Synapse to not display "File Transfer OK", I want a MAJOR ALERT that is NOT missable !! (maybe with sound and a 5 second nudge :) ) this will help my secretary and will also help in bug detection.

Try to see if you missed clicking on the [OK] button and if the "Add New Consult" popup is buried underneath the consult window. You can just minimize the consult window to see if there is another window underneath.
  3. Graham

Graham Developer Staff Member

The [Synapse Import] button disappears until the save operation completes, or, an error occurs.

Perhaps the server is busy ??

Or, if there is a modal window open anywhere .. windows may not work.

Try this:
    • In the chat window - click on the text "enter active" to display all the icons
    • Right click on the "?" button to disable notifications
  4. Graham

The [Synapse Import] button disappears until the save operation completes, or, an error occurs.

Perhaps the server is busy ??

Or, if there is a modal window open anywhere .. windows may not work.

Try this:
    • In the chat window - click on the text "enter active" to display all the icons
  5. Jason

[quote user="Graham"]

[/quote]

<strike>Enter and Active are two different buttons.</strike>

<strike>I can't find a right clickable ? button.</strike>

never mind, found the text [:)]

will disabling notifications, stop the chat from popping up when my secretary reboots her PC (and restarts synapse) ?
  6. qilin

qilin Member

Only? I already have 450 imports (120 patients)[:O]
    I think so too
    Will try next timeit happens.

We are not using the chat window, yet. We found pop-up of this window every time a person logs in is kind of annoying, can you make it stay in the background unless the [chat] button is clicked?
  7. Graham

The chat window popping up on a new user joining the chat is buried deep in the code.... just leave the chat window always open so people can send you messages!

The disable notifications refers to popup windows appearing above the windows system tray when someone PMs you, or other type of alerts.

8. Jason

[quote user="qilin"]

We are not using the chat window, yet. We found pop-up of this window every time a person logs in is kind of annoying, can you make it stay in the background unless the [chat] button is clicked?

[/quote]

I want this as well. The core functionality of the [Chat] function is unclear so we shouldn't confuse users with it. Q: are you using it Graham ?

I still use borgchat for messaging my secretary (old habits die hard). I was hoping to make the chat function in it's current form an option

[ x ] enable chat

in settings.

9. Jason

Are you using the chat ?
  10. Graham

I don't chat to myself ...

11. Graham

12. Jason

[quote user="Graham"]

BTW, the Chat got a favourable mention in the

Rebol programming contest

Where the code had to be less than 28Kb.

[/quote]

Synapsechat kicks ass. With the way cool catch up features it is kind of like an on the fly documentation creation utility.

:)

I want real time communication is Synapse. I still can't see our current implementation of [Chat] working in this regard.

I feel new users of synapse will be more confused than helped by the extra chat window.