Tweaking Select Dispensing... Pop-up

Discussion in 'Feature: Requests and Planning' started by Jerry, Mar 20, 2009.

1. Jerry

Jerry Administrator Staff Member

Would it be possible to make the drug quantity "pre-set" buttons user defined (optimally defined for each medication) , or make a user defined text box with a favorite quantity that is retained on the pop-up? I commonly use the quantities of 10 and 20 tablets in urgent care. It would definitely decrease repetitive mouse clicking if the drug could be selected, the quantity clicked, and pretty much that's it.

Attached Files:

2. Graham

Graham Developer Staff Member

My first thought was that pre-set buttons for each medication was way over the top!!

But Synapse is here to make your life easier, and faster to dispense medications.

So, I think the solution to that end is to track what you prescribe per drug and offer that as a choice.

eg. I often prescribe Etidronate - which is 2 hours between meals, twice a day for 2 weeks only, followed by 10 weeks of calcium.

If I select Etidronate, I want that to come up as an option!

Or, Adalimumab Pen, which is 40 mg sc once a fortnight, dispensed monthly with 2 repeats.

Doing this in one click is what I want too ... so let me think about this ....
  3. Graham

This movie shows the new implementation simplifying dispensing, hiding most of details until you need it.

Needs new latest client and server.

[​IMG]
  4. Jerry

Just tried it, and works great. Should definitely speed things up and reduce the amount of repetitive clicking.
  5. Jerry

Just trying this with Rx's from urgent care this morning... for me, this feature is great...really speeds it up.
  6. Graham

New video showing bulk prescribing.

Basically if there is any dispensing history, that is used to represcribe the same drug.

The video shows a couple of anomalies in the dispensing because this is my demo patient where I was playing around with things.
  7. Graham

This feature is good for me ... as I have all the patient's medications in front of me ... but I only prescribe certain meds, the rest are prescribed by the patient's GP.

So, when I click "Rx All", it will only bring up those drugs that I manage. Will save me a bunch of time.
  8. Jason

Jason Developer / Handyman Staff Member

That's a neat offshoot of the original idea.

The highest yield thing in any EMR is the Medication Management. I certainly dream of a utopia where patients use a portal and medication management is done as efficiently and effectively as possible.

In this ideal world, I wonder if it is worth the time to say Meds X is the responsibility of Provider Y.

When I contrast my "Free Form" MS Word Prescriptions, one major drawback is I have to scan through old prescriptions (one big file) to find all the drugs the patient is on. This is a major drawback. A major strength is the timeline aspect of it. I add notes like:

Dr. Cardiologist upped the Atacand to 16mg.

Or I update why patients stopped meds.

Joe got dizzy after taking one escitalopram/lexapro and stopped them immediately.

Just seeing a medication was stopped because it wasn't tolerated ... in this case, misses the key facts .... the patient didn't really give the medication enough of a chance ....

Another example was a guy who stopped Atorvastatin because "it made me sweat". I recorded that, and said stop lipitor for 2 weeks. I also said that it was unlikely atorvastatin would do that. I said restart lipitor in 2 weeks and see if the sweating returns upon restarting. 5 months later he came back, not on lipitor, when I was RXing something else, I noticed it ... he said he was still sweaty so I said we should restart lipitor because it wasn't that.

The take home message here is much of "medication management" doesn't fit on a prescription or a list of drugs. Where some of that type of information should go in Synapse is a tough question. Buried in a consult note, isn't exactly ideal.

(oops forgot to post this !)
  9. Graham

Just had an idea and implemented it.

In full screen mode, if you click on "tickle", it will bring up a new tickler like this

10. Graham

[​IMG]

New calculator look ....
  11. Jason

Note: I need to verify that Suggestions, includes Repeats. My most common RX is 3 months, 3 repeats (1 year supply).

12. Jason

This thread talks about past prescribing information (history) as important.

This brings super key information, right to the user's fingertips !

Attached Files:

13. Jason

or, likely easier ...

Attached Files:

14. Graham

Looks like there is a bug in the dispensing by amount as it is not recording the repeats. And so they are not showing up in the suggestions.