transfer of database to a different server

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kgmamman, Oct 7, 2007.

1. kgmamman

kgmamman New Member

I tried toreplace(copy) the database from myoffice server to the one at home (to carry my work home !!), however that does not work. I havent tried VPN yet. Is the database supposed to work onlyon the server in which it was created or is it a problem with the configuration?
  2. Graham

Graham Developer Staff Member

You must shut down synapse-server before you copy the database as you can corrupt the original database this way!

You have a configuration issue on the home PC if it does not work .. but best thing to do is setup a Hamachi vpn.

3. Jason

Jason Developer / Handyman Staff Member

Hamachi VPN is the way to go. Truly one of the immense beauties of Synapse is using it from home. It's blazing fast.

4. kgmamman

kgmamman New Member

Installed Hamachi on the office and home pc and i am able to ping both ways. However the computers cannot see each other on the network. One of the routers is Linksys and the other is D-Link and PPTP is enabled in both. I presume its a firewall issue. Should the trusted IP be that of the computer/default gatewayor Hamachi's IP ?
  5. Jason

The "Server" PC at the office (the one with synapse-server.exe) should have two IP addresses now.

(1) internal ip address .. usually 192.168.1.x

(2) hamachi ip address .. usually starts with a 5.x.x.x

The client (at home) needs an ip address and a port to connect to.

Use the hamachi IP and the port (usually 8011 for me anyway). Just use the usual port you use at the office.

For the PC at home (assuming it usually stays at home), make the Hamachi IP settings the default by changing the environment settings .. set synapse-port to 5.x.x.x:8011 (use your real hamachi ip and port here).

I just thought of something. I haven't had a hamachi disconnection in probably 6 months .. thanks hamachi !

I included a screen grab on my hamachi VPN with the ips partially modified.
  6. Jason

The "Server" PC at the office (the one with synapse-server.exe) should have two IP addresses now.

(1) internal ip address .. usually 192.168.1.x

(2) hamachi ip address .. usually starts with a 5.x.x.x

The client (at home) needs an ip address and a port to connect to.

Use the hamachi IP and the port (usually 8011 for me anyway). Just use the usual port you use at the office.

For the PC at home (assuming it usually stays at home), make the Hamachi IP settings the default by changing the environment settings .. set synapse-port to 5.x.x.x:8011 (use your real hamachi ip and port here).

I just thought of something. I haven't had a hamachi disconnection in probably 6 months .. thanks hamachi !

I included a screen grab on my hamachi VPN with the ips partially modified. (looks like we ran out of space here !)

7. Jason

hamachi interface retry
  8. kgmamman

kgmamman New Member

Works beautifully. It was the configuration of the IP address on synapse client which was causing the problem. Thanks Jason