SynapseDirect for neurologists Q & A

Discussion in 'Feature: Requests and Planning' started by Anonymous, Dec 27, 2006.

1. qilin

qilin Member

Re: Date input field

If you remember what the first generation windows explorer looks like, comparing to the current version. This is what I mentioned before an organized filing system for scans. Just a more user friendly approach, instead of going through a long list looking a certain result, a tree structure is more convenient. Say I have 10 MRI pictures from a single series I want to save, I will highlight all 10 files, and drop them in a folder "MRI brain FLAIR mmddyyyy", and another 4 pictures into "MRI brain T1+C mmddyyyy". Later I can choose from a thumbnail to view interested pictures. In Synapse, I have to do 10 imports unless I zip them. And 10 entriesfrom a single MRI exam to blow the list of results is just not efficient.
  2. Jason

Jason Developer / Handyman Staff Member

Exactly how often will you want to do that ?

What exactly are you gaining with these 10 pictures ?

How about making the 10 pics into .pdf file ?

Do you have DICOM files ? Maybe you want a DICOM viewer ?

Is there a way to "bookmark" images in a DICOM file viewer ?
  3. qilin

qilin Member

Most viewers that the patients brought to me or the hospital PACS system that allows me to view from home do not let me save DICOM files, I can only export one picture at a time into bitmap. I have a possible CNS lymphoma case today, with very interesting MRI findings, positive findings involve about a dozen cuts. So I would prefer to save as many pictures as possible. This happens quite frequently in Neurology. Sometimes this involves a lot of pictures in multiple sequences. With the limitation of Synapse, I am sampling only one or two pictures now - which is OK but doesn't give you the whole idea.
  4. Jason

What do the Neurologists with no computers do ?

Why not print the images files to a .pdf file and you'll have them in one file. A multipage tiff might be a interesting format.

I guess the devil's advocate will say .. are these pictures going to change your management and what are the computerless doctors doing ?

Q: How many times in 2006 did you do this (saving more than 2 images ) ? 5, 10, 100 ?
  5. qilin

qilin Member

Most neurologists don't do this at all, especially in the US. All people care is money nowadays.
    Not an option, the quality of the printout on plain paper is not good enough.
    It may not change my management, it just cost me more time [;)]. But, I will feel much more comfortable to be able to view them any time I need. An MRI report may tell you a young woman has some white matter changes, but until you see the pictures, you will have no idea whether she needs a spinal tap to rule out MS ASAP, or it's something trivial likely from migraine, that you can ignore for now. Also it may save a lot of trouble to show the picture and explain to the patient than reading the reports to them.
    Ask the patient to bring the scans every time they come? Over time, they may forget, they may loose the films. The doctor will also forget what the MRI looked like before. I will not trust a neurologist whototally depends on reports only and doesn't read films.
    I had about 30 ISO files from the discs patients brought in in 2006. There are a lot of scans in hospital PACS system that potentially I can save to an EMR. Maybe a couple of times a month at least, I will get a positive scan worth archiving. There is always option of getting from the PACS again or have the patient bring the scans later. But, why we don't let the patient keep their medical charts themselves and keep them in the office instead?
  6. Graham

Graham Developer Staff Member

Sounds like you need to set up a PACS system in house to deal with these things.

I look at images once .. and that's it.

And accept the reality that is .. it's just too much trouble dealing with gigabyte sized files.

As Jason suggested, you could try and convert multiple images to a single multipage tiff image. He didn't suggest printing to paper.
    But paper can be 1200 dpi .. whereas screen resolution is usually only 72 dpi.

Better to find a PACS system and drive it externally the way Synapse drives PPport.
  7. Graham

8. qilin

qilin Member

or PDF. Should work for me.
    this looks like we need support from Radiology. But usually I don't get the original DICOM files. I guess I will stick with PDF or tiff for now.
  9. Graham

Nevertheless it might be interesting if someone would install this, and then Synapse could provide a URL to the image server instead of storing images itself.

10. Graham

Rebol doesn't have a tree widget .. but when it does, we can reconsider these issues.

11. qilin

qilin Member

Tried saving MRI scans to PDF, combined 17 bitmap files saved from PACS - scans of my interesting patient today, created a file of 800k in size, took a few seconds to upload from home to Synapse server in the office, not bad, picture quality is quite acceptable this way. Thanks for the suggestions.
  12. Jason

How did you make the .pdf ?

How big were the individual .bmp files ?
  13. qilin

qilin Member

I used Acrobat pro, all default settings. Each .bmp is over 1 meg, but Acrobat compresses them pretty hard.
  14. Jason

you printed them to the PDF printer ?

what's the process ?
  15. qilin

qilin Member

In Acrobat pro 7.0, use menu: File - create PDF - from multiple file, then you can add the picture files in the dialogue box and combine them to a single PDF file.

In Acrobat pro 8.0, this function is integrated into windows explorer shell, you can highlight the picture files in windows explorer, right click - combine supported files in acrobat... and follow the wizard.
  16. Jason

Two easy to use methods. I see also that picassa has a "shoot these pictures to acrobat" function (in the right click menu ... Open With). Seem to only work with 1 picture though, at least with acrobat 7 pro.
  17. qilin

qilin Member

result list screen.JPG combine multiple scan/pictures into a single PDF file

I have been happy with this approach. Had a another case today, combined 30 pictures from one MRI study and resulted in one 1.4 meg PDF file, very manageable.

Another thought for Graham: I would prefer to put the two windows under "results-text results" tab side by side. This way,more entries can be displayed in thelist on the left for easier selection for patient with many results. Metadata window on the right. And, of course, make the filter buttons customizable?

Like this:
  18. Graham

Re: combine multiple scan/pictures into a single PDF file

The results window does expand if you vertically increase the size of the window.

19. qilin

qilin Member

Still not tall enough...
  20. Jason

(1) change button text to "View Result" (vs. View Image). <--- I like this idea. another option: View Item. [:)]

(2) I <u>love</u> the way the filter picks up words in the metadata. :) It's heaven. I should try to find stuff via this method during my workday

(3) Re: make the "Text results area" side by side with the "Metadata" window to show more Text results.

- I've thought about this as well. Certainly the main flaw of qilin's suggestion is that you will have less "Metadata" shown in the Text Results display (ie. the field would be shorter). It's kind of a direct trade off. I guess it depends what is more important to you.

a) seeing more items at a time, or

b) seeing less items but more of the metadata text of those items.

For me, I think seeing more metadata is more important (the current method).

This does bring up a good point. I feel the metadata box is too big. I think a more reasonable size would be approximately 1/2 it's current size (in height). I think i've mentioned this before somewhere.

Qilin - I also use synapse in "Maximized" mode (ie. taking up the entire left monitor). By switching to this mode I go from only seeing a very scant 6 result items to seeing 16 !. When using Synapse in a non-maximized window the bloody metadata area takes up more space than the Text Results display area ! (way too much).

I think making the Metadata area either 1/2 or even 1/3 the height would put it's intended function (metadata) more in line with it's intended use.