Synapse crashes

Discussion in 'Bugs & Issues' started by qilin, Feb 8, 2007.

1. qilin

qilin Member

My secretaries managed to crash Synapse twice today and were unable to launch it. I had to delete the files in Synapse folder to make it work again. I didn't have time to save the error message window. I am sure it will happen again since we don't know what behaviour caused it.
  2. Graham

Graham Developer Staff Member

Synapse is pretty stable. If it crashes, it captures the error message to send to me.

If they can't do that, they should just do a control-print screen, and then paste the screen into paint to print out.

Not sure what you mean by having to delete files in the synapse directory ...there's nothing there that should stop it launching.

3. qilin

qilin Member

When I tried to launch it, I got an error message window and Synapse won't launch. I know there is no problem with the .exe file, it had to some corrupted file in Synapse folder it's trying to read during loading. So I cleaned up the folder and Synapse launched fine. This happened twice today. When it happens next time. I will save the error message window.
  4. Graham

Ahh .. interesting.

I've seen that and I fix it by rebooting windows.

The error message I see is that Synapse is unable to load com2rebol.dll as a library.

I have no idea as to what is causing it .. but think it's a windows timing issue.
  5. qilin

qilin Member

I could not fix it by rebooting. They probably corrupted the .dll file! They were certainly trying to abuse Synapse. When they couldn't figure out what to do, they will click whatever they can :)
  6. Graham

The dll file is actually embedded inside the Synapse binary, and is dropped to the local directory each time to ensure that the latest library is available.

I think it's some kind of windows issue, and the few time it has happened to me, rebooting has always fixed it.

7. Jason

Jason Developer / Handyman Staff Member

Synapse has crashed for me probably 1 or 2 times in the last 9 months. My secretary is somehow able to crash it more. I've never heard of synapse not restarting easily after a crash. Part of the beauty of synapse is it's ease of "reloading" vs. any other app I use.

One Tip: make sure that the synapse webserver is closed as well. You have to manually close it from the system tray by right clicking on it. Did you do that ?
  8. qilin

qilin Member

Ok, finally this happened again. the message said:
    I deleted files in synapse-emr folder to be able to launch Synapse again, maybe it's the synapse-config.r file?

My secretaries also managed to crash the server a couple of times! Didn't know why but I had to restart the server - again, forgot to save the error message, next time when it happens again.
  9. Jason

[quote user="qilin"]

I deleted files in synapse-emr folder to be able to launch Synapse again, maybe it's the synapse-config.r file?

My secretaries also managed to crash the server a couple of times! Didn't know why but I had to restart the server - again, forgot to save the error message, next time when it happens again.

[/quote]

Never seen that one before.
  10. Graham

[quote user="qilin"]

[/quote]

Hmm. Possibly .. see why I do not local config files ..

Huh? WTF are secretaries working on the server for ? The server is supposed to be off limits to everyone. That is the point of having a client - server architecture though this is actually n-tier architecture.
  11. Jason

I assumed the server was crashed from the remote computer :)
  12. Graham

I don't think that's possible. I've never seen it happen in the last year or so.

I think I need to reiterate that allowing non-technical people eg. secretaries, to use the server as a client PC for whatever reason, is not a good idea. The server runs a mission critical task, and if it goes down, you lose money/time.

Better to set up a separate PC for scanning or whatever ... why risk the server??
  13. qilin

qilin Member

Jason was right. My server is a dedicated Dell server, nobody touches it except me. I am the only one who knows the login password. The server was crashed due to remote operation. This happened twice. The server is running Windows 2003 server and it's not running any other applications. If it happens next time, I will save the screen error message.
  14. Graham

My apologies .. you last said you were going to use an XP box as a server.

Pretty much every action requested by a client is error trapped on the server, so I am surprised that a crash happened. Possibly bad things will happen if you delete files stored by the server in the listener directory. But that is supposed to be error trapped as well.

15. Jason

Moving up in the world. Synapse is super fast for me on XP so I haven't seen the need to switch to windows 2003. I would probably do it if I needed some other client server apps which I might do eventually.
  16. qilin

qilin Member

Iwas using a XP box initially, but I wanted RAID1. Instead of getting a RAID card and reinstall everything, I figured it's easier for me to upgrade to windows 2003. Is there a log file saved so I can show you what were the error messages? No, I did not delete files manually from cache-listener folder, I always delete from the clients.
  17. Graham

There is a log table, but if it's an untrapped error, it won't appear there.

18. qilin

qilin Member

The server crashed again today. I looked at the error message and I think I know why. Here is the message:
    It looks like Synapse was saving a tempory file while receiving an upload and it will rename the file after completion of the upload. I have Secondcopy set to do back up for any file change. What's probably happening was Secondcopy was backing up this tempory file so Synapse could not rename the file during the copying process, and this resulted in server crash.

Now I set Secondcopy to back up cache-listener once a day instead of upon any file change. Hope this will elinimate the server crash problem. Graham if you can fix the server I would still prefer to back up any file change.

And,is it safe for me to manuallydelete this file with weird name as FFC9C8E695BAA34D1B0B07B15986DE002699A204?
  19. Graham

Qilin - I can't do anything here. If your application places a file lock on Synapse EMR temporary files ... interfering with the server application, then there will be missing files.

You are correct. Synapse EMR creates a temporary files that you upload. It then finds a safe file name to rename it to, and then does the renaming. If I just error trap the rename, I can prevent Synapse Server from crashing, but then it will have left the uploaded file with it's temporary name .. and so won't be found.

If you are running raid 1, that should take care of the file system, and then you can do a backup once a day.

If you really want to do backup on each file change, you need to set up Windows 2003 shadow copy I think ..
  20. Graham

Rename it to 171-intake.pdf !!