SipGate moves Business Phones to the Cloud

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jason, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Jason

Jason Developer / Handyman Staff Member

Interesting ?

source

2. Jason

3. Graham

Graham Developer Staff Member

Could be ... but I can't test it as it is for US residents only

4. Jerry

Jerry Administrator Staff Member

ooma (www.ooma.com) is anther VoIP service in the US. I just set up a business account with it (not for myself). ooma sells their fancy VoIP router/"answering machine" with a second "scout" router at electronic retail stores (Best Buy, Radio Shack, etc.) for about $250, then one phone line is free for life. "Premium" service with second lines, etc, is $13/ month, unlimited calls to anywhere in the US. You get local area code phone numbers (if you want), but faxing is iffy. Very easy to set up.

They are using Google Voice. Google Voice is free, but only functional for users of the "Grand Central" service so far. Since ooma was all engineered up to use Grand Central, apparently they were in business when Google Voice went public.
  5. Graham

Graham Developer Staff Member

Sounds like the cheap option is a free phone line (VOIP) with a sip phone ( or POTS phone with adaptor ).

Faxing out is free, but otherwise $2.50 a month for a fax line ... which is presumably is via a web application.

I bet for this price they don't offer an API for faxing but maybe it can be "hacked".

6. Jason

[quote user="jparkdo"]

ooma (www.ooma.com) is anther VoIP service in the US. I just set up a business account with it (not for myself). ooma sells their fancy VoIP router/"answering machine" with a second "scout" router at electronic retail stores (Best Buy, Radio Shack, etc.) for about $250, then one phone line is free for life. "Premium" service with second lines, etc, is $13/ month, unlimited calls to anywhere in the US. You get local area code phone numbers (if you want), but faxing is iffy. Very easy to set up.

They are using Google Voice. Google Voice is free, but only functional for users of the "Grand Central" service so far. Since ooma was all engineered up to use Grand Central, apparently they were in business when Google Voice went public.

[/quote]

Great Tip.

I can't wait til "Grand Central" Google Voice is opened to all.

Do you think it is going to be popular ?

7. Jason