ScanSnap S510 - great scanner.

Discussion in 'Hardware and Software Tips and Suggestions' started by Jason, Mar 1, 2008.

1. Jason

Jason Developer / Handyman Staff Member

[​IMG]

Quickly convert paper documents into PDF files you can organize, share, and protect.<br clear="none" />
    Performance: 18ppm in simplex color, 36ipm in duplex color. Automatic
    color, paper size, and blank page detection. Compact and easy to use.

<br class="clearall" />

<table cellpadding="3" cellspacing="0" class="standard"><thead>
    <tr class="header">
    <th align="center" colspan="2" scope="col" valign="middle">Product Information</th>
    </tr>
    </thead>
    <tbody>
    <tr class="odd">
    <td valign="top">[​IMG]ScanSnap S510<br clear="none" />[​IMG]</td>
    <td>Feature<br clear="none" />[​IMG]<ul style="list-style-image: url('/img/common/dot_g.gif')">[*]A4 Duplex Compact Color Scanner[*]Color Scanning Speed: 18ppm(150dpi)[*]Monochrome Scanning Speed: 18ppm(300dpi)[*]Excellent Image quality[/list]
    </td>
    </tr>
    <tr class="even">
    <td align="center" colspan="2" valign="middle">[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    (32bit)</td></tr></tbody></table>

===============

Just bought one of these online.

Great little scanner. Small footprint. No paper jams thus far.

It's big advantage over the Strobe XP 450s (4 years old) is the Automatic Color.

So if I set it for B&amp;W, all the varied colors will be easily converted to B&amp;W - automatically. In my current scanner, I would have to adjust a PINK page to a different setting in order to get good B&amp;W documents ... if I scanned a pink page with "white page" settings, my resultant white page would be ENTIRELY black, and obviously unreadable.

the Automatic Color adjustments are very helpful, most reasonable scanners have this now.

The Adobe PDF OCRing seems good. I'll keep an eye on it.

There is a "PaperPort" like Doc Man program that comes with this .... for me ... this will likely mean the end to the somewhat flaky PaperPort and it's Omnipage OCRing. Ever since I stopped renaming scanned documents and that we almost upload all documents to Synapse - I dont need Paperport.
  2. Graham

Graham Developer Staff Member

Does it come with a twain driver?

3. Jason

welllll ...... not sure.

I was going to say ... YES.

but so far PaperPort can't see it.

4. Jason

No TWAIN.

It'll work with paperport but it'll take some extra steps
  5. Jason

6. Graham

Interesting ...wonder what the "sane backends" are though.
  7. qilin

qilin Member

I wonder how this one compares to Kodak i1120 I recently bought, which hasa twain driver and is a little cheaper - funny its price has just gone up but is still lower than ScanSnap S510. I am still using paperport and upload all files to the server. So far no complains. Just curious Jason what made you choose this scanner, automatic color?
  8. Graham

What's the quality of the OCR like?

9. Jason

<a href="http://graphics.kodak.com/docimaging/US/en/Products/Document_Scanners/Desktop/SCANMATE_i1120_Scanner/Specifications/Spec_Sheet/index.htm" target="_blank">Kodak i1120
    </a>

Looks pretty solid. I see that it doesn't perform duplex scanning vs the S510. I needed duplex scanning for old charts alone and around 5% ? of my documents are double sided.

For the most part, yes. No need to separate out pages into pink, B&amp;W, and other colours.

It also does duplex scanning - but this isn't entirely needed.

My partner just hired a girl to scan his old charts (the previous doctor) full time. I'll see how the scansnap holds up.
  10. Graham

>It also does duplex scanning - but this isn't entirely needed

I'd like a duplex scanner ... mine is only single sided [:'(]
  11. Jason

only 5% of my scans are double sided.

excluding old charts. Secretaries seem to photocopy old charts onto two sided paper. (Annoying)
  12. Jason

nice to see you around qilin :)
  13. qilin

qilin Member

Kodak i1120 does duplex scan, here is where I bought from two months ago when it was $50 cheaper.

I haven't pay attention to automatic color function, usually if I see a problem (often red color) I just use grey scale.
    Thanks Jason, I'll be back more often once I have my new practice set up running, still have some issues to take care of.
    I would recommend Kodak i1120. Unless Jason can convince me that ScanSnap S510 is better. :)
    BTW, Graham please check your PM, sent you one yesterday, sorry for the delayed reply since I haven't been around often lately.
  14. Graham

Ok, seen your PM, and have replied.

I don't think PMs actually send you a notification by email ... well, I don't get them.
  15. Jason

Kodak i1120 does duplex eh ?

Fairly odd the company's own site doesn't mention that in it's Specifications !

I feel the Kodak i1120 would be superior than the S510 based on it's additional TWAIN compatibility.

The only unknown would be in scan performance (jamming, clarity of image, OCR accuracy) which is hard to determine. Likely they are both equal on these fronts.

Based on available evidence: I'd say the Kodak is the better scanner.

Great work !

16. qilin

qilin Member

It's mentioned here:
    Performance wise, I have notseen noticeablequality loss from the Fujitsu fi-5120c used in my previous practice. No jamming problem so far. OCR with bundled Omnipage is also as good as my previous experience with Fujitsu fi-5120c/Paperport/Omnipage. My office manager likes it and bought one for herself to use at home!

The only obvious differences comparing to fi-5120c are: Kokak i1120 is slower, sometimes has 10 sec warm up time and does not scan embossed cards (certain insurance cards, credit cards). But these are probably acceptable for most practice use, especially given it's less than half of the price of fi-5120c.
  17. Jason

[quote user="qilin"]
    [/quote]

I always look for the word: duplex. One-sided or two might mean the software pauses as you flip the pages over to scan the other side !

Maybe all scanners now are duplex.