RVL200 SSN VPN router

Discussion in 'Hardware and Software Tips and Suggestions' started by Graham, Aug 24, 2008.

1. Graham

Graham Developer Staff Member

As an alternative to using Hamachi and other software VPNs, here's how I setup an inexpensive Linksys RVL200 SSL router.

So, once you establish the SSL tunnel, you can then access Synapse on the VPN as though you're on the local network.
  2. Jason

Jason Developer / Handyman Staff Member

3. Jerry

Jerry Administrator Staff Member

[quote user="Graham"]

As an alternative to using Hamachi and other software VPNs, here's how I setup an inexpensive Linksys RVL200 SSL router.

So, once you establish the SSL tunnel, you can then access Synapse on the VPN as though you're on the local network.

[/quote]

Graham,

I explored more settings in my Linksys router, and discovered that it has this setting:<p style="margin-left: 40px">IPSec Passthrough: enable disable<p style="margin-left: 40px">PPTP Passthrough: enable disable<p style="margin-left: 40px">L2TP Passthrough enable disable

All three are enabled by default. Does this mean that if I had IPSec client/server software I could use my existing router as an IPSec VPN? Or does it just let IPSec traffic passthrough?<p style="margin-left: 40px">

4. Graham

Sorry, outside my expertise!

5. laumansm

laumansm New Member

This means that your router has the ability NOT to block VPN. IPsec etc. are just various VPN protocols. VPN routers (hardware Hamachis) are inexpensive. You can buy a cheap home router and flash the ROM with DD-WRT, which has built-in VPN capability. DD-WRT is basically a free open source upgrade to your router's stock firmware. Check out:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv3/index.php

Marius
  6. Jason

Jason Developer / Handyman Staff Member

When I get some time I am going to try DD-WRT on my WRT54g.

7. laumansm

laumansm New Member

Good idea. Keep in mind that DD-WRT only works on certain revisions of that router. Check out the supported hardware section on their website. In general, you would want to use OpenVPN (part of DDWRT).

Marius
  8. Graham

Their website doesn't provide an execute overview of what it can do.

But if I were to flash my WRT54g with OpenVPN, I could then use the Windows vpn client to setup a VPN?

Is that right?
  9. laumansm

laumansm New Member

Yes, that's correct. DD WRT uses standards based VPNs. I would even consider doing a hardware VPN tunnel from one device to the other. These routers are dirt cheap on ebay and you can even get them pre-flashed with DD WT. Marius