Plans for 2007

Discussion in 'Feature: Requests and Planning' started by Graham, Jan 14, 2007.

1. Graham

Graham Developer Staff Member

Ok, new solar year ... what are the burning priorities/fixes we need?

( Jason - I see the 0.0 issue in diagnosis details! )

2. Jason

Jason Developer / Handyman Staff Member

Well. I have reams of suggestions. I would like to hear what some of the Newbies with fresher eyes want done. Plus I need time to "Review a few things".
  3. qilin

qilin Member

<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt"><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt"><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt"><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt">I will start a list:<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt"><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt"><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt">Problem: GPS table &ndash; Initials field: field size is only 5.
    Suggestion: Increase the size to same as Surname (80) and make it First name or Initials. In Synapse, keep the case the same as the way users put in instead of changing to all upper case. BTW, I changed the database field size, but Synapse cut the letters out after first 5 anyway.<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt"><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt"><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt">P: Format problem.
    Still waiting for the next version with a customizable template for referral letters. Before that, is it possible to customize output fields to word? I'm interested in the following format after lettter head. I have attempted to do this using MS Access, but MS Access could not display Blob field correctly. Anybody know how to make MS Access read Blob field?<blockquote><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt">
    Today's date (Month dd, yyyy)<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt"><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt">Dr. Referral Firstname, Lastname
    Address<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt"><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt">Date of visit: mm/dd/yyyy
    Re: Patient name<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt"><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt">Dear Dr. Lastname,<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt"><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt">Body</blockquote><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt"><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt">P: Express scribe has difficulty opening third party voice files.
    S: In settings, add a choice to select a default .exe for the voice files. This way we can continue use Sony Dictaphone and our transcriptionist can still use our current Sony program.<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt"><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt">P: No list for transcribed, unreviewed notes. No list for reviewed, unmailed/faxed notes.<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt"><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt">P: Consult input window: macro text always pasted at the end.
    S: Paste macro at the cursor location.<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt"><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt">Firt two are the burning priorities, I can't use the program if Ihave to do alotmanual editing togenerate a letter. Will add more later.
  4. Graham

Try beta-34 ( see details in announce ).

Are you sure you changed the database field size for the initials field in the GPS table? There is no code I can see at present that limits the number of characters to 5.
  5. qilin

qilin Member

Checked with IBExpert, the field size is 5. I increased the size, but after I forced a value longer than 5 letters, Synapse gave me "sql error" and couldn't display provider info. It would return to normal after I truncated the value back to 5 letters.

I successfully connected MS Access and fixed the Blob field problem. Will try mail merge later.
  6. Graham

I suspect you are not committing the changes. You increased it before but it is back to 5.

Try committing the change and then see with IBExpert if the change takes. You need to close down the Synapse EMR server while you do this I think.
  7. qilin

qilin Member

I did commit the change. I didn't close down the server - that's why - thanks for pointing it out. Now I can put in full names.

BTW, MS Access and Word mail merge worked flawlessly, I guess I can use this method before you finish fully featured template function.
  8. Graham

Would you describe exactly what you are doing with MS Access and Word mail merge in case anyone else wants to try this.

9. qilin

qilin Member

Will give a brief version now. If people are interested, will write a step-by-step instruction or post the Access file after I finish the interface. Basically what I did:

Create a MS Access data file with linked tables to Synapse firebird database via ODBC.
    Create queries and forms, will need a query to put togetherfields needed to generate letters from the following tables: users, consults and gps, and forms to view patient list and consult notes.
    Create a word template file with mailmergefields connected to the Access file.
    Create a button to trigger an event of mail merge inAccess (VBA coding needed).

This way, Access will send the fields from current consult record to the pre-formated Word template file. You can easily chose fields you need and customize whatever way you like, use the dates in US format, add a logo, electronic signature, use Word's spellcheck grammer feature, etc. Once you set the template up, you can print selected consult with one click using windows printers.

10. Jason

[​IMG]

Please make a new thread - and give the details as they emerg.

I'd love to have a copy when you get something that works ! ( I have Access, Word, etc.) (Q: what versions do you have ?)

:)

This is exciting news. [:D][:D]

One thing that I really want is a way to fill out patient forms, it'd be nice to be able to save these forms in the patient's folder (not in synapse).
  11. Graham

Since the Firebird tables are accessible by ODBC, you can use anything appropriate to generate custom reports which is what a letter essentially is.

Maybe Al could cook something up using MS Office too, or perhaps one could even use OpenOffice ( no experience here ).

I purchased Crystal Reports a few months ago, but don't have the time to try it out. But this is how one would generate custom reports that can't be done within Synapse yet.
  12. qilin

qilin Member

Will do.

Will send you a copy, should be soon. I have both 2002 (xp) and 2003, will test both versions.
  13. DrO

DrO New Member

I'd like a copy too. It might be better to make it accessible to all. Thanks

DrO
  14. qilin

qilin Member

Jason check your email titled "Synape MS Access and Word Mailmerge solution".

Included a MS Access database file and a sample template file. Make sure you put both files under c:\EMR folder. Otherwise you needto edit the VBA code to change the path.
    You may need to run linked table manager in MS Access to re-link to ODBC source on your machine - you need to add one user DSN with the same settings as the ystem DSN you set for the server.

DrO, don't have your email. PM me your email address so I can send you a copy too. If both of you like it, maybe you guys can put it to the forum download area.

This is for customized letter generation only. Other features maybe added later. One thing I have in mind is to put a status field in Consult table to filter out reviewed/printed notes and only list the active ones.

Another thought: refering physician is saved in User table, probably it should be in Consult table. A patient will have a PMD and maybe referred by different MDs to see you for different visits (this is not rare), and also a patient may change his PMD, these should be tracked.
  15. Jason

Cool. I have to try this now !
  16. Jason

Do I have to run it from the server ? (which has the Firebird ODBC ?)
  17. Graham

My guess is you create a user DSN ODBC connection on the client to the server instance of Firebird.

18. Jason

Like this ?

Attached Files:

19. Jason

Here is my Firebird ODBC setup on my server (mule)

Attached Files:

20. Jason

On my client I get this error reading.

The specified name was not found in the hosts file or Domain Name Services.

Attached Files: