Physician Web Interface

Discussion in 'Feature: Requests and Planning' started by Graham, Feb 14, 2009.

1. Jason

Jason Developer / Handyman Staff Member

Re: Web Interface

I admit that pursuing this Web Interface is exciting and already promising, I can't help but think we need to settle some more core issues (drug allergies, drug indexing, etc.).

Will this interface be able to write to the REMR.fdb file ? If so, then we are creating another EMR. If not, this is another method of viewing data (which I do like) for current Synapse EMR users, but we should concentrate on tweaking the core application first.

2. Graham

Graham Developer Staff Member

3. Graham

I wouldn't be too worried about this displacing the Synapse client as I only started to learn JavaScript a couple of weeks ago.

But yes, you will be able to write to the remr.fdb ...

I'd like to have remote web access for messaging, viewing diagnoses, consults, and for writing prescriptions. Since it is open source, others can add functionality too without having to rely on me making all the changes.

4. Jason

Easy to install. Works great on my LAN.

I'll test it from home tonight.

Attached Files:

5. Jerry

Jerry Administrator Staff Member

I'm getting this error in FF:

Content Encoding Error
    The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because it uses an invalid or unsupported form of compression.

The login page comes up OK with the captcha, then I get the error after attempting to login. I noticed that one time there was a collision with TeamViewer on port 80, so I changed the port to 10443, but I still get the error anyway.

IE just throws up a blank page with no error message. I'm using Win2k for server machine and client machine.
  6. Graham

Check the trace.log in the web root ( same directory as checcmd.exe ) and see what the error is.

I suspect it's not connecting to the ODBC DSN.
  7. Graham

Isn't port 10443 used for SSH tunneling?

I would use a port like 8000 ...
  8. Graham

I'm going to remove some of the unfinished navigation on the left hand side and move it to the main display area.

So, I will have diagnoses, medications, demographics and consults on the right in an accordion widget.

I'd rather have a scrollpane containing the text for a long consult, but was not able to get that working last night.

eg.

consults

<scrollpane> .... lots of text </scrollpane>

diagnoses
    medications
    demographics

It's possibly because the scrollpane needs to know the dimensions of the text first, and since the text is being loaded ajax style, it can't properly initialize.

I tried initing the jscrollpane in the load callback ... but that didn't work either. Anyone??
  9. Graham

Added the abilty to view diagnoses/procedures, and medications.

10. Jason

Graham, can you make it clear when you update the Physician Portal package ? vs. update the live demo - I'd like to test the package on my deployment has features are added. THX.

11. Jason

Hmmmm .... before we venture forward, making design decisions that may be hard/impossible to fix down the road, let's take some time to reflect exactly what this portal is about. Certainly some reflection on how we envision this product being used is important.

Simply saying "A physician portal" is not thorough enough.

To apply a 90/10 rule, you have to know how the portal is going to be used.

I see this as a very exciting endevour. It is a major addition with some super important possibilities. This could be a REBOL-less Synapse in some respects. Not that I dont love REBOL !

I don't want to hear in short order, "That's too tough to change", etc, when an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Both Jerry and I (and others) can help with some design suggestions from a different perspective than you can visualize with your small doc Rheumatology office eyes. Well before I had a chance to comment on good ol portalc.exe and using the "Tab" analogy for the design of synapse.exe we were locked in to that perspective and I have found it to be limited in some respects ever since.

I still think this is early days here .... but an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. And time is money !

Attached Files:

12. Graham

well for one it's open source .. don't like, make your own changes! But it's hardly Reboless, it's use Rebol to dynamically generate everything.

Two, the menu is collapsed on entry to that patient. You can see that medications are below visits. Collapse the visit, and you can click on medications. Super simple.

13. Jason

I've talked before how the best EMR is the most flexible EMR.

That wasn't really an option with the REBOL version of synapse.exe.

or we never designed it like that from the get go.

Q: Modular design - Can there be 5 versions of the medication section (and I can choose the one I like) without needing to change the REMR.fdb database ?

Q: Why was the Jquery selected over other options ? Is this ideal to the task at hand ? What are the known limitations and benefits of Jquery from your perspective ?

Q: Can we make it easy for different versions like: "Transcription only" Synapse ?

Anyway, it's late, and reading nurse resumes awaits me.

This is a potentially a really super cool new path for Synapse, let's maximize everyone's experience to get 'er right from the get go !

[:)][Y]

14. Jason

So a developer would need to know Rebol to make a contribution ?
  15. Graham

Sure ... I'll announce each time I zip up my files.

Warning .... to prevent your changes being overwritten, make your files that you changed read only so that you don't ovewrite them with mine.

This applies to httpd.cfg and anything else you change.
  16. Jason

I want to view the last 10 notes, or search for a word on those notes.

Clicking on each note based on a date is lame. This is the design that someone who knows databases comes up with.

Can we do a little planning before we forge ahead ?

<u>Addage</u>: 1 week of prevention is worth 6 months of cure ?
  17. Jason

Here is the portal on my 1024 x 1280 monitor.

That's quite a generous monitor size.

What devices might we want this portal to run on ?

Should we think about smaller devices that are more mobile ?

Anything else that needs planning in this respect ?

Attached Files:

18. Jason

Here is what the portal looks like on my Tablet (certainly one of the devices I would potentially want to use). Note: this is a high res tablet that displays more screen real estate than most tablets. Most tablets are less forgiving than my Mega screen res M200.

Attached Files:

19. Jerry

Jerry Administrator Staff Member

We could use some type of Revision Control System. Many FOSS projects are using CVS, but I think that would be overkill for this project (in my experience). On the other hand, even with just 2-3 contributors file versions can quickly get out of control. Maybe could just use wiki pages for file versions, or maybe even Google docs and share them?
  20. Graham

Hell no. Basically the functionality is based upon Javascript and CSS. Not my strong points.

The Rebol used is fairly basic .... should be easily picked up.