MySQL and REBOL

Discussion in 'Rebol' started by Noteleks, Jun 9, 2010.

1. Noteleks

Noteleks New Member

OK, I have been messing around with MYSQL and NAVICAT. I was able to make a database and populate it using NAVICAT. I have 2500 records in it now. I also downloaded the driver for REBOL to connect to MYSQL. I am excited because I have messed with other languages and have not had as much success that I have been having now.

As you see Graham and Notchent has been helping me with a program that connects to a spreadsheet. I still need that. But I am working on seeing if I can get MYSQL on our school comptuers and use REBOL to connect.

How hard would it be to have a front end like what Notchent and Graham has shown me on my other post and have MYSQL running in the background on each individual computer. They will not let me run a server. But I could run it on a website correct? I have serveral websites up now and they come with MYSQL. I know this is long. I am trying to get this all sorted out in my head. Thank you .
  2. Graham

Graham Developer Staff Member

Running on a website is a different issue from running on local PCs. You won't be able to connect to the web server mysql server except thru web pages.

The VID front end is just that... you manipulate data and display results. So, not much different except you use sql calls to do the CRUD.
  3. MaxV

MaxV Member

4. Noteleks

Noteleks New Member

Yes, I downloaded that driver. Having problems at the moment connecting to the database. I followed the tutorial but no success, so I am working on it. I am using the Uniform Server as my database server.
  5. notchent

notchent Member

Noteleks, what's the purpose of having separate database systems running on separate machines? It sounds like you may potentially be better off using flat files. If you're just interested in learning SQL, maybe take a look at sqlite or rebdb: http://www.dobeash.com/sqlite.html
  6. Peter Wood

Peter Wood New Member

Two Options

You are probably facing the issue that Graham mentioned. Most web hosting companies do not allow you to connect directly to their MySQL databases from a PC for security reasons.

There are two possible solutions. The first is to install MySQL on a server at your school. The second is to build a program that runs on the web host to act as a gateway between the student's PCs and your MySQL database.
  7. Noteleks

Noteleks New Member

Ok, to answer both. Maybe I could go over to SQLite. I was just thinking about storing all this information in a database and updating it when needed. Such as when an administrator puts in a new student. Right now it writes to a data.txt which is a flat file that notchent is talking about, correct? We are getting our data off of an EXCEL Spreadsheet. Really that would work for what we are doing. I was just thinking on down the line that a true database would be needed. Our Technology department downtown will not let me install anything on the server. So what I was going to do is make a stand-alone desktop application database and update it when I needed to. I would have our secreatary put in the new students then I would go to each desktop and update.

Another option I was thinking would be to have a web site, because I have about five of them now. Have one that I build the MYSQL database that we can connect to. We already have to connect to two websites to get to our administrative paperwork anyway. This way anyone could update and everyone would have it right away. What does everyone think?
  8. notchent

notchent Member

9. Noteleks

Noteleks New Member

Excellent. Thank you. I will keep that in mind. I am going to try it here at home and see how it works.
  10. Graham

reverse Skeleton

Any luck?
  11. Noteleks

Noteleks New Member

This is why I really like this forum and REBOL. You guys actually care. I have not gone back to it yet. I will soon. I am also a member of a malware forum that keeps me busy. But I am definitely going back to it. I really like it. Just hard to get my head around it. Congrats on figuring out the name. You are the first one in the past five years that did. It was my World of Warcraft characters name and I use it for other forums. I will get back to you guys when I start working on it again. Probably in the next few days.
  12. Graham

hehe.

We invested a bit of time in you ... time now for you to your homework :)