Managing medications

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kgmamman, Oct 22, 2007.

1. kgmamman

kgmamman New Member

When entering data in "Manage Medications", once a entry is made into the column "route & frequency" the entry does not clearautomatically oncethe medication is added. On entering the details of asecond medicine a manual entry has to be made into the ID Freqency and Instruction field. Does this happen to everyone?
  2. Graham

Graham Developer Staff Member

You'll have to give us a step by step blow on what's happening as this doesn't happen to me.

3. kgmamman

kgmamman New Member

Attached is a screen shot of adding Tab Voltaren SR 100mg po od.

Attached Files:

4. kgmamman

kgmamman New Member

Add Medication is now clicked which clears the entered Tab Voltaren but does not clear the check box of "po" and "od"

Attached Files:

5. kgmamman

kgmamman New Member

When a second medicine is entered and the "po" and "od" is required a manual entry is required to complete all the fields

Attached Files:

6. kgmamman

kgmamman New Member

This happens only when the same parameters i.e: "po" and "od"are required to be added a second time. When a different parameter is choosen there is no problem
  7. Graham

I just clicked on another item in the first list to reset it - eg. click on "inhaled" and then "po", but this now clears after adding a new medication in beta 27

Note that you still have to use this trick if you make a mistake and select the wrong route/frequency. Or you can just type it in.
  8. Jason

Jason Developer / Handyman Staff Member

I had the same problem. My usual scripts would go something like this:

Omeprazole 20mg 1 tab po od

Problem is ... I type:

1 tab or 2 tabs in the box and then if I click on anything in the first column [po, inhaled, im, subcut, pr, pr, topically,iv,ia] it *overwrites* my typed text. This functionality doesn't make sense to me. Why would columns 2,3 append text to the frequency and instructions box and column1 overwrites ? I don't see any upside to the current functionality but I do see a downside (erasing user text, this is not the way things usually go in Synapse). My suggestion is to make column 1 function like everywhere else in synapse - append text non-destructively.

The radio buttons are also not really needed and could be eliminated. Getting rid of the radio buttons and making the list entirely text insertion would eliminate these problems with corrections as well.

9. Graham

The first column was always intended to have dual functionality, ie. to reset the instructions field and insert the appropriate text.

So, say you clicked on "po" when you meant "pr", the field was reset and "pr" would be inserted.

Where you want to have 1 - 2 tabs, I guess you would do this

po 1-2 tabs etc.

10. Jason

How about putting it back to single functionality ? [:)]

Interesting work around but that's not the correct order :)
  11. Graham

Could add another button which just clears the instructions field and make it just append text .. but it's an extra button I didn't want.

12. Jason

This is a VERY unlikely scenario and I'd say you don't make plans around unlikely scenarios. If the poor end user hit pr ... then they should hit clear.

On top of this, the dual functionality interferes significantly with key functionality.

I do admit that prescribing Rectal Tylenol orally is a major problem though ! :)
  13. Jason

Another problem with the duality.

I prescribe Dimenhydrinate (Gravol) 50mg 1-2 tabs iv/im/sc q4h prn in palliative patients.

I prescribe many other medications in multiple routes, especially in palliative care.