"Make Default Doctor" a permanent change in Add Result Window, etc

Discussion in 'Feature: Requests and Planning' started by qilin, Sep 6, 2009.

1. qilin

qilin Member

Adding an option of select a doctor as the default doctor under user settings can save my secretary some clicks when adding results.

Is there an option to change the time display under Appointments to A.M. P.M. format?

I prefer Classic Consults window, it would be nice to add that user setting option to make that a permanent choice.

When highlighting the text in a field (for example Result Type in Add Result Window), the selection gets lost if the mouse is moved outside of the box even a little bit. Is there a way to make selection using a mouse behave more like other windows application?

I have not tried Hylafax or autofile. I have been using Paperport and Snappyfax. I have Snappyfax print to Paperport image printer to create searchable PDF (OCR'ed). Since my scans and faxes vary a lot, I'm not sure how well autofile will work for me. I want to stay paperless so I scan everything and file to the server, intake sheet, rx, letters from insurance, etc. Filing process has been tedious for my secretary. Any recommendation on how to improve the work flow?
  2. Graham

Graham Developer Staff Member

I think if you set yourself up as the PHCP in the Personal & Contact page, then you appear as the doc for the results. This is how it is supposed to work.
    No, as it is sorted on the time.
    Oh .. it was my intent to remove it completely once I figured out how. I'll have a think as to how you can make it a choice ... but you only have to select it once, right?

I've mentioned this several times to the author of the GUI toolkit ... to no avail.

Autofile is better when you are receiving the same faxes all the time eg. serial blood results. Not so good at all if you have lots of different types of faxes.

As you've discovered, there's no magic bullet to become paperless.

However, the new fax import utility might help because the user no longer has to attach the scanned document. You basically point the utility at your fax directory, or scan directory, and it imports everything there (pdf, tiff, g3) into the fax inbox. From there you can adjust the date, select the doctor, and the patient and file it, or send it to the physicians inbox. Everything gets OCR'd as well and the metadata being present means the secretary can read most of the details from the metadata without looking at the real scan. If your PDFs contain searchable text, then they do not get OCR'd but the text is extracted instead.
  3. Graham

So, using the faximport tool, you save on the following:

1. You don't have to wait while the fax/scan uploads to the server as it is already there

2. You don't need to set the date as the date is grabbed from the file date of the scan ( unless you're scanning in old documents )

3. the doctor is only set once at the start of the session

4. the meta data is prepopulated for you from the OCR

But because it refreshes by pulling all the unseen faxes each time, and there may be a lot of ocr text, it is slow in refreshing. I might fix that by just updating the table, and letting you manually refresh from the server.
  4. qilin

qilin Member

I didn't know that since I haven't been using PHCP. I noticed you added [file] button, so this will just file the scan without sending to anInbox, but it still requires the scan destination person selected. What about letting [file] button bypass that requirement? I will leave PHCP blank, use me as default (permament), and my secretary can click [To Inbox] for test results and click [file] for office documents. This will save her a lot of clicks and we will no longer need the dummy doctor as the destination for office documents.
    Need to select once everytime I open Synapse.

[:'(]

Sounds exciting. I use a common folder for scans and incoming faxes both handled by Paperport. I was even thinking of usingyour namingrule to name the files manually to allow autofile pick up them, but I figured that might even be slower than clicking through the Add Result Window. Is this utility functional now? Can't wait to try it.
  5. qilin

qilin Member

What if I use the client PC receive fax and scan
  6. Graham

[quote user="qilin"]

I didn't know that since I haven't been using PHCP. I noticed you added [file] button, so this will just file the scan without sending to anInbox, but it still requires the scan destination person selected. What about letting [file] button bypass that requirement? I will leave PHCP blank, use me as default (permament), and my secretary can click [To Inbox] for test results and click [file] for office documents. This will save her a lot of clicks and we will no longer need the dummy doctor as the destination for office documents.

[/quote]

Yes, still requires a destination person. Otherwise there will be issues with referential integrity.

I'll email you with the details for testing.
  7. Graham

If you have different directories for incoming faxes and scans, then the only solution currently is to run two copies of the FaxImport utility.

8. Graham

I've changed the fax handling so that it does not pull the faxes each time one is filed.

Much faster now.
  9. Graham

Another aide to speed ... if the patient's surname appears in the metadata, you can click on it, then on the search button and it will do a search on the surname.

10. qilin

qilin Member

What about letting the user choose a default PHCP under user settings?

Another request: I need an [Office] button for result type to put "Office" as result type with one click, since we use this a lot for all intake sheets, scanned insurance cards, insurance letters, disabilities papers, etc.

Graham can you please add "EMG" to "Labs and Misc" list? I file my EMG report myself after I complete the test, this will save me a lot of clicks too.

Many thanks in advance.
  11. Jason

Jason Developer / Handyman Staff Member

I had this same problem as well.<h2 class="CommonTitle">Add Results - assigning a doctor - default options</h2>

http://synapsedirect.com/forums/thread/5738.aspx

You can "Mass Add" yourself as the PHCP for all your patients ... That is what I did. I am going to do this again as my scanner girl didn't add me as the PHCP for the last few months.
  12. qilin

qilin Member

I do have another part time MD on the list. This "mass add" can't be used if there are more than one MD. I also have a separate Admin account who shows up on the list. So do you assign yourself as admin instead of MD? Now with the added [File] button, I can get rid of the dummy MD. So now I have three recipients in the scan destination list, Admin, me and another MD. Wouldn't it be easier if there is an user option to assign a default PHCP when adding a new patient?
  13. Jason

I think the only thing you can do is: Staff training ... ie. make sure that when time permits (which should be 99% of the time), a PHCP is assigned.

If there was a default option ... what is going to happen is ... new patients added will default to you and patients that belong to your part time MD will end in your INBOX.

I think it could be more apparent that the "PHCP" should be filled out.
  14. Jason

Ideas to make it easier / more intuitive to assign a default MD.

I have argued the PHCP term is needlessly vague. Graham argued what about a nurse practitioner ? I think he should not worry about that until a nurse practitioner complains.

Ideas here
  15. Graham

The PHCP is also used to do reports on your ticklers.

This allows the nurse/staff to see which ticklers are outstanding per staff member.
  16. Jason

Important !
  17. Jason

moved from another thread.

qilin, is this guy going to be full time ... ? working up to full time ? part time ? what's the scoop ?
  18. qilin

qilin Member

This is my wife, she is working part time for another practice, her contract will end next July, after that I plan to have her join me full time if I can have enough volume to support both of us.