Macro Replacing with right mouse button - GUI seems to move too quick and selection loses focus.

Discussion in 'Bugs & Issues' started by Jason, Aug 6, 2007.

1. Jason

Jason Developer / Handyman Staff Member

see .jpg

Attached Files:

2. Jason

I don't know if Rebol allows this but if you hunted for the next macro word needing replacing *AFTER* you release the mouse button ... this problem would be far less likely to occur.

3. Jason

I take it we can't have "two highlighted items" at a time ?
  4. Graham

Graham Developer Staff Member

Hmm. This bug was fixed before. Has it only just reappeared in beta-10 ?

5. Jason

No idea.
  6. Jason

This is still a problem.
  7. Graham

And there is no fix for this still.

8. Jason

Note: hitting the Tab button TWICE functions as if you double clicked, but it doesn't have the losing focus problem.

Hmmmm.

9. Graham

Exactly what are you doing?

10. Jason

(1) start macro

the first word is highlighted.

left click on the appropriate option in the list. (the word to be changed in the consult text loses highlighting).

press the tab key twice.

the word is replaced with selected option.

the next word to be changed is highlighted.

repeat !

11. Graham

That doesn't work for me.

But left click, and then left shift tab to hightlight the "replace text" button, and then hit the space bar works.

I could therefore add another [replace text] button below so that tab brings focus to it and then space activates it, or, perhaps just move focus to that button.
  12. Jason

what inserts the text for me is pressing TAB while the cursor is in the "macro text box" - see .jpg
  13. Jason

Q: Graham .. does that work for you ? The TAB key will actually insert the text if your cursor is in the location it is in the picture ?
  14. Jason

Another IDEA,

Using the number keys in a MACRO MODE to select entries .... and either (1) clicking on the consult editor window or clicking on the Normal mode radio button will return the user back to NON-macro mode.

Attached Files:

15. Graham

The idea is replace a word within a sentence, and the word highlighting is to try and give you the context. However, there is a problem with a large amount of text as the scroller currently does not currently follow the text down so that the highlighting may occur off screen as it were.

Perhaps another approach is to display the current sentence only and work with this.
  16. Jason

I'm not so worried about the "text going beyond the scrollbar" issue.

The issue at hand here is ...... would the mouseless selection of macro replacing text not suffer the focus problems that come with using the mouse (i.e. double click or right click) ?

17. Jason

Any progress on the focus problem with macros ?
  18. Graham

No, doesn't appear to be fixable without major architectural changes to Rebgui