Is REBOL 3 a dead project?

Discussion in 'Rebol' started by gordon, Jul 25, 2011.

1. gordon

gordon New Member

I see no activity at all on any of the REBOL 3 sites or on Carl's REBOL3 blog since about February or March of this year. Has the REBOL 3 project been abandoned or put on hold?
  2. MaxV

MaxV Member

No, but you are right that the public doesn't notice anything. If you look at the altme Group there is a lot of activity, but nothing released to the public ( http://www.rebol.org/aga-display-posts.r?post=r3wp771x9245 )
    I don't like this way of production too.
    Carl Sassenrath is a genius, but he really lacks of connections with real world. He is on Facebook, Twitter, has more than a blog, but he hasn't wrote a word for months!
    One of the reason that Rebol isn't well known is his fault to merchandise Rebol.
    I think that Rebol is superior to all other programming languages, but very few people know it: it's absurd!
  3. gordon

gordon New Member

Thanks Max. I just discovered REBOL quite recently and I have been extremely impressed with it - but when you look at the REBOL website, you get the (obviously incorrect) sense that nothing is happening. The last release was in January and when you follow the links announcing the upcoming REBOL 3 ... well, you can kind of hear the crickets chirping. I know that noise and clamor does not equate with productivity and in the link you sent me, it was refreshing to see some activity on REBOL 3, but the website does give the misleading impression that there is nothing going on.

In any case, I am very glad that stuff is happening behind the scenes, but as you say, maybe there could be more interaction and updates, in order to generate some buzz and excitement about REBOL generally and the new release in particular.
  4. Graham

Graham Developer Staff Member

A new core version has been released by Carl .. privately though .. for OSX and Linux that fixes the Wait bug
  5. henrikmk

henrikmk New Member

Carl has been busy with another project for a few months, that would take up most of his waking hours, but when he returns to R3 development is hard to tell, as he is known to be reclusive. Meanwhile, community members continue to test the R3 interpreter and the GUI is being managed by a separate company, RM Asset, and there is daily development on that.