InBox on multiple machines.

Discussion in 'Bugs & Issues' started by Jason, Oct 25, 2006.

1. Jason

Jason Developer / Handyman Staff Member

OK. Auto-refresh INBOX once every 5 minutes, but ONLY when the current focus in NOT on the inbox ?

:)

ie. the Inbox Tab is NOT selected.

:)

2. Graham

Graham Developer Staff Member

That will still switch patients on you each time the inbox is refreshed.
  3. Jason

Is this because of the same phenomena I see when I restart synapse:

When I log in, Synapse switches to the person whose at the very top of my inbox ?

I don't really see why I would want that feature.

I'd prefer that no one would be selected, and I would land on the search tab. Well ... an intuitive place to land would be the inbox, but is it possible to land on the inbox without *ANY* items selected ? (I dont think it is).

It's mildly confusing to users to start synapse, end up in a certain patient's chart, yet not having selected them. I think if the focus switched to the InBox tab, they'd be less wondering ... how did i get to this patient's chart ?
  4. Graham

Yes, it has to switch to that patient so it can show any outstanding ticklers etc.

And I personally don't wish to end up in the inbox.
  5. Graham

I guess every emr has it's own design paradigms, and for Synapse it is that if you select any patient specific result then the current context switches to that patient. This to prevent you from getting patient results mixed up.

6. Jason

Hmmmm.

Well so when I hit refresh, and 20 new items are added because my secretary has added stuff .... that means that Synapse switched patients 20 times ?
  7. Graham

Yes, it would have for her .. as Synapse will switch to the patient each time she adds a result.

But not for you .. you will only see the first result.
  8. Jason

Re: InBox on multiple machines - LogOut Button and Timed logout.

Maybe this is a wee symptom of a larger issue of Synapse needing to "Log the user off" after a certain number of minutes of inactivity. I think this is a HIPAA requirement maybe ? I use Synapse on 6 computers and will probably be expanding to anywhere from 4 to 10 more when I add a partner in the new year. I'll be adding staff nurse, nurse practioner, social worker, dietician, and others. This will be an interesting challenge for myself and Synapse !

I certainly think that Synapse's Power will show itself in the "Larger than 1 doc" situation. Very much looking forward to it. Certainly we'll have to ponder how "Multi-Doc/Provider" friendly we want synapse to be.

One thing we should consider is this switching user thing, and maybe a TimeOut feature. (as well as a Log Out feature).

Of course, the Logging in after any of these 3 events will be a great time to refresh the INBOX ! [:)]

<u>So I think we need a</u>:

(1) LogOut (Log Off?) Button -- which blanks Synapse, see my picture.

(2) A setting for Logout After X minutes (set from 0 to 999). 0 = no timed logout. - Note this would just change to the Logged Out screen - but maybe with some fancy Save State feature :)

Attached Files:

9. Jason

Note part B I want in the Synapse Window .. not a Standalone window :)

10. Graham

If you want to logout, just use the [Restart] button!

11. Jason

[quote user="Graham"]

If you want to logout, just use the [Restart] button!

[/quote]

(1) too slow

(2) seeing these three things is another reason. I want something simple and clean. I want to walk into the room type my password and be up and running in less than 1 second :)

Attached Files:

12. Graham

If you have a domain, the xp client can be set to log you out after a period of inactivity.
  13. Graham

Oh, and there is no quicker way of logging in a different person .. Synapse opens up multiple asynchronous encrypted tcp channels, and so if you logout, you have to restart to reset all the session data. if you want to just lock your workstation, you can also use a password protected screen saver. If you want multiple users to have access and keep their sessions open, then maybe Linux is your best choice.