How to Deploy Synapse's powerful clinical templates in your practice.

Discussion in 'Documentation & Training Resources' started by Jason, Mar 27, 2007.

1. Jason

Jason Developer / Handyman Staff Member

This thread will be comprised of tips how to deploy Synapse Templates to maximize your efficiency in the office and minimize your dictation costs.

(1) Learn how templates are created (it's not that hard!) Here is a thread that helps in this regard.

(2) Draw a template on a piece of paper - exactly how you want it too look on a piece of paper.

(3) scan that piece of paper in and email it to us (or attach it in a post)! We'll design your first one for you to give you confidence.

(4) figure out what are the top 10 templates you will need in your practice

(5) draw what all 10 should look like on a piece of paper (as well as all the drop down options)

(6) either learn synapse templating language, or get some high school kid to learn it for you.

(7) make the templates.
  2. armdpa

armdpa New Member

This is what i have worked out thus far as far as radio groups templating and what it resolves to in the note(output).

+ = present
    - = absent
    N = normal
    A = abnormal
    Y = Y

Are there any other preset standards that are inbedded in Synapse. I havent found much with my searches.

in the template language i have come across thin, ultra-thin, wide, return, and then coordinates to layout the template window. Is there any control for how the data gets translated into the note(the output). for example with the radio groups with 4 items all checked on in the note it shows up as follows

----

label item1

item2

item3

item4

-----

and i would like the ouput to be:

label item1, item2, item3, item4

-----

can you control where "tabs" or "line breaks" are in the actual note ouput?

Thanks

-armdpa

3. Graham

Graham Developer Staff Member

4. Graham

Currently the main templates follow this structure:

label "sometext" (wide) radio-group 20x5 data [ "N" "A" ] edit-list "" 25x4 data [ "choice1" "choice2" "choice3" ]

or

label "sometext" (wide) radio-group 20x5 data [ "N" "A" ] field "some default"

(wide) is just a spacer indicator ... and an alternative is (thin).

Now if the radio-group is not selected, then no text from this format is inserted into the text. However, if the radio-group is selected, then the label is inserted followed by the expanded form of the radio-group. In this case, "N" becomes "normal" and "A" becomes "abnormal".

Other choices include "+" => present, "-" => absent, "-v" => negative "+v" => positive, "R" => right, "L" => left. ( in R211 beta-1 )

Now, any text following the radio-group is only inserted if the right hand side of the radio-group is selected. Otherwise it is ignored. So, in the examples above, "choice1" ... "choice3", and "some default" are ignored unless "A" is selected.

Sometimes however, you might want some text to be inserted without a radio-group following it. A new widget of type "slabel" appears in R211 beta-1. The s stands for "sticky" - so that we have sticky labels [8-|]

5. Jason

Jason Developer / Handyman Staff Member

I almost understand that. :)

6. Graham

Uploaded two new templates to the library.
    1. Mini chief complaint template which just shows how patient variables can be incorporated into a template. In this case, it shows how a diagnosis may be selected from a table from one of the patient's known diagnoses
    2. A knee joint examination from Dr Mamman
  7. Graham

I think you meant check-group and not radio-group. R211B6 has a new check-group called hcheck-group that outputs the text horizontally.

You can try the following to control line breaks etc. In Rebol a new line is ^/ and a tab is ^-

To, you can add these to the end of your text as follows

slabel "This text is followed by a new line.^/" return

slabel "This text is followed by a tab.^-" return