HL7 lab results: manually assign to user?

Discussion in 'Feature: Requests and Planning' started by laumansm, Oct 1, 2008.

1. laumansm

laumansm New Member

If the HL7 engine is unable to match a lab result to a user, is it possible to manually assign the result to a patient?

Thanks, Marius
  2. Graham

Graham Developer Staff Member

The HL7 import attempts to find the person who ordered the test. If it does not find that person, it assigns the result to staff member id of 0. You then use the [Lost] button to see them and assign them to the correct staff member.

If it can't find the patient, if the HL7 file is a single file result for a single patient, it leaves it untouched.

If the result is embedded in a large file ... I can't remember what happens now.

You can't manually assign a result at present. You would have to edit the HL7 message to add the correct patient ids and then run the import again.

Usually I don't get a match because I have the dob wrong or the NHI number wrong. I fix them on the synapse side and then run the import again.

There is also a HL7 log produced after each run.

What does Soapware, or other EHRs you've used do ?

How come Synapse can't match the patient?
  3. laumansm

laumansm New Member

I have no idea how Soapware does it. Most EHRs are not really as transparent as Synapse. Soapware support fixes things but I am never told what's really happening. This is theoretically great service but somewhat frustrating for a nosy geek like me.

I have no idea why Synapse could not import the HL7 test file. I made some changes to the file, including a name change. I think I might have gone overboard with my changes since I did not really knew what all these numbers meant. I presume that the mistake was on my side. Will try again

Marius
  4. Graham

Graham Developer Staff Member

Maybe you can send me the HL7 file and the patient demographics as dumped from Synapse ( print on the patient details page ) and I can try to see what the problem is.