Handwritten / INK notes as an option for a Visit Note in Synapse

Discussion in 'Feature: Requests and Planning' started by Jason, Dec 6, 2008.

1. Graham

Graham Developer Staff Member

Seehttp://www.dklevine.com/general/software/tc1000/jarnal-back.htm

Background image files can be loaded, either to serve as a decorative background, or for purposes of annotation.

What types of images are supported?jpg, png and gif files are always supported. Support for fax (tiff) and pdf files are optional. Many ways of providing support are possible.
  2. Graham

The other interesting thing about Jarnal, is that it has a network save option.

So, say you were to download a file from the server, you could edit it, and then save it back again. It basically uploads itself back to a http form on the web server. Which is pretty cute.

Data files are in SVG format so a transparent data format vs proprietary one-note or journal format.
  3. paindoc

paindoc New Member

I've taken a look at the Jarnal page, and I think that it could work for me. I just hope that its implementation in Synapse is easy to use. It certainly has a good feature set and I'm eager to beta test it.

PainDoc
  4. Graham

Another advantage is that if we setup a Cheyenne server on your server, it could bring up the Jarnal file specific to your patient as a Java applet.

My understanding is that you can annotate etc, and then save it back to the server. We avoid storing in the paperport directory.
  5. paindoc

paindoc New Member

Is the Jarnal file being saved to the Synapse database?

PainDoc
  6. Graham

I would envisage it would be in the same way all attachments are.
  7. paindoc

paindoc New Member

"Let's say we have a button that creates a blank Journal (Jarnal) file in the patient's paperport directory.

We also create a blank encounter entry that we can put some metadata for the Journal (Jarnal) file.

And then maybe we need to be able to import that Journal (Jarnal) file into the cache-listener for archiving.

And also a button to access the Journal (Jarnal) file ...."

Is this how you propose that Jarnal be implemented?

PainDoc

8. Graham

that was before I read about the java applet version.

So, now it might be

Click button to create empty Jarnal file - empty file is created in the cache-listener, and appears in the list of files associated with this patient.

Browser now browses to this empty file - which appears in the Jarnal java applet. Needs a web server such as Cheyenne to display it though.

You make annotations and do a network save which means posting back to Cheyenne.

The file in the cache-listener is updated by the Cheyenne server.

Note: I have to test all of this, and am presuming that Jarnal as an inking application is good enough for you to use.

9. paindoc

paindoc New Member

"Background image files can be loaded, either to serve as a decorative background, or for purposes of annotation."

I guess that I should ask if the above feature will be included in your implementation.

PainDoc
  10. Graham

I think the applet can do that .. you just load whatever background image that you want.
  11. Graham

12. Graham

If you need Jarnal to load tiff images, you need the advanced java image library installed.

Seehttp://download.java.net/media/jai/builds/release/1_1_3/jai-1_1_3-lib-windows-i586-jre.exe

13. Graham

Note, that you will need to install the Java runtime engine to use this application.

14. Graham

15. Graham

To create your own template, using a png, jpg, or pdf
    1. Open up Jarnal
    2. File/New
    3. File/Open Background
    4. With the new background, make any changes to your settings eg. pen type etc
    5. Save into the <synapse emr>/jarnal/templates/ directory with a descriptive name
    This new file in the templates directory is now available as a template.

16. Graham

To those testing Jarnal, I have uploaded a newer version ( same url ) which allows you to use MS Journal instead.

Create a directory called <synapse emr>/journal

and also

<synapse emr>/journal/templates/

Save a blank Journal file in the templates directory, and any other prefilled Journal files with images.

Now Synapse will preferentially use MS Journal ... of course you will need a Tablet PC, or, MS Vista (business only?), both of which include MS Journal.

MS Journal is a lot faster inking than Jarnal, but can not load PDFs as background images.

The only problem I can see is that the blank Journal file is date stamped with the date of creation.

NB: <synapse emr> refers to the directory in which you have synapse.exe - it does not refer to the /synapse-emr/ directory which holds chat messages.

17. Graham

18. Graham

Anyone using OneNote?

I can support this just as easily as Journal. Possibly better as OneNote has com support.
  19. paindoc

paindoc New Member

I have OneNote. I'd be interested in checking this implementation out.

PainDoc
  20. Graham

Not implemented yet ... just wondering if there's any interest.