Hamachi as a VPN: using Synapse securely from home or elsewhere - 256 bit encryption

Discussion in 'Hardware and Software Tips and Suggestions' started by Jason, Sep 10, 2006.

1. Jerry

Jerry Administrator Staff Member

The SSL Explorer website (http://3sp.com/en/enterprise-edition/?referrer=sslexplorer) says it has pretty robust capabilities, including "IPSec-like" VPN to applications, files, etc. It just requires "configuring ANT correctly" with JRE. I'm working on trying it today. Sounds like exactly what I've been looking for -- easy to use cross-platform VPN.
  2. Jerry

Jerry Administrator Staff Member

Installed SSL Explorer Enterprise Edition using the Windows installer. It allows 2 concurrent sessions for free (you have to dig a bit to find that tidbit). Medium complex still, but not too bad to set it all up and get the webserver going as a Windows service. I have it working now. Uses 130 K of ram without any extensions running! Have to figure out how to connect a client to it now.
  3. Graham

Graham Developer Staff Member

Windows has an inbuilt VPN client ... try that.

4. Jason

Jason Developer / Handyman Staff Member

I can't seem to get LogMeIn Hamachi to access my office Synapse :(

upload_2013-10-28_19-36-17.png

I wonder if it is a Windows 8 thing. I'll try a few other PCs.
  5. Jason

I seemed to get it working on my Windows 7 PC.
    I think I'm having Hamachi issues.
  6. Jason

Uninstalling Hamachi and reinstalling seems to have worked on the Windows 8 PC.
    LogmeIn Hamachi is needlessly complicated. Managing your networks via logmein.com vs. locally is when Hamachi started getting needlessly complicated.

upload_2013-10-28_21-14-33.png

I guess it's normal for Hamachi to be listed as having "no internet access".
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  7. Graham

Graham Developer Staff Member

Well, I still use Hamachi but not a lot these days. Just for my asterix box.